Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mandolin etiquette at Old Time sessions?

Default Re: mandolin etiquette at Old Time sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by pelone View Post
    So---we now have OT snobs?............
    I don't think that's new or limited to OT.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

2. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Isn't that the truth...

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It's not, but it isn't always wrong. Most "genre jams" like OldTime, Bluegrass, Blues, Jazz, Irish trad etc. have either official or unspoken guide rails to protect the genre they've chosen to play, so it doesn't just turn into a free-for-all where anything goes.

There are of course "anything goes" acoustic jams too, but some other jams pull the guard rails in a bit tighter to prevent repertoire drift, or takeover by outsiders. For example, some of the more "pure drop" Irish trad sessions have been forced to be that way to avoid being taken over by the inevitable Guitar Army of folksingers in some areas.

In my view, people who have known each other for years and like to play in a certain way, shouldn't be criticized by newcomers for wanting to hold to a certain standard. Whether it's repertoire, "allowed" instruments, preferred tempos, or whatever. If the jam doesn't appeal to you, look for another one.

P.S. if I sound a little cranky it's because I've had to be the "session cop" on one or two occasions. Like having to gently dissuade the guy who wandered into a mixed Irish/Scottish trad session with a gigantic banjo bass and wanted to hammer on the I and V for every tune.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Frankly, I never noticed many problems with mandolins in our old time jams. First of all if any show up they are in the minority, certainly overshadowed primarily by fiddles and then by banjos and guitars. Even if they are chopping I doubt I hear them. And of the players I know, they are friends and generally know how these jams run anyway.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

newton 

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    It's not, but it isn't always wrong. Most "genre jams" like OldTime, Bluegrass, Blues, Jazz, Irish trad etc. have either official or unspoken guide rails to protect the genre they've chosen to play, so it doesn't just turn into a free-for-all where anything goes.

There are of course "anything goes" acoustic jams too, but some other jams pull the guard rails in a bit tighter to prevent repertoire drift, or takeover by outsiders. For example, some of the more "pure drop" Irish trad sessions have been forced to be that way to avoid being taken over by the inevitable Guitar Army of folksingers in some areas.

In my view, people who have known each other for years and like to play in a certain way, shouldn't be criticized by newcomers for wanting to hold to a certain standard. Whether it's repertoire, "allowed" instruments, preferred tempos, or whatever. If the jam doesn't appeal to you, look for another one.

P.S. if I sound a little cranky it's because I've had to be the "session cop" on one or two occasions. Like having to gently dissuade the guy who wandered into a mixed Irish/Scottish trad session with a gigantic banjo bass and wanted to hammer on the I and V for every tune.

I agree with this, standards and the tradition, and one thing I did notice with some sessions in the UK and France was the amount of waste.
    I mean productivity. In business there can be a lot of waste at an economic level, losses. In sessions there can be a lot of loss at a social level.
    Someone says the wrong thing at the wrong time, and someone else stops playing music for maybe two years, stops producing socially.

I used to go to ukulele session and there were so many people who either had the wrong instrument for the session, or there was something that could have been negotiated. And then they left, never to be seen again! I often thought that it would be good to set up another session on a different Night that doesn't compete and take down all the phone numbers of the people who were leaving. Slow sessions too.

9. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Cary's post (and article) are highly recommended. There are definitely OT snobs. I know a few fiddlers who will not play with the local old time jam crowd because they do not meet the quality of play the person likes. As well as the tune choice. Or even old-time styles. It's sometimes difficult to get an Appalachian player to appreciate the Midwest styles (especially Missouri Valley and "Missouri Rules."

Besides Carl Jones, would recommend listening to Kim and Jim Lansford. Jim was a great mandolin player as well as a steller guitarist. Also listen to the Buckhannon Brothers for another take on old time.

Will admit to not playing much old-time anymore. Got pulled in by Nordic music then Quebec and have spent too much time working on those to be of help. However, when I do go to old-time jams, I try not to chop too much and just flow with the music. Either following the banjo or guitar if playing chords.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The timing of this discussion is interesting. I'm dealing with the same issue in regard to a traditional singing group with fairly strict but often unenforced rules about material and method of singing (e.g., songs should be traditional or folk, passed down from person to person, and song sheets are only to be used as an aid when a song is new to you, then you may refer to it when you're stuck). Lately, we've been getting songs from musicals and tv shows, people staring into cellphones as they sing, and many coming unprepared. We like to be a bit loose about these matters. For instance, if one of our core group sings a pop song once in a blue moon, or if a nervous person or elderly soul uses a song sheet, we don't gripe. But "give'em an inch and they take a yard." Some folks even take a schoolboy's delight in flaunting a supposed authority figure, giggling and boasting about how they didn't follow the rules. This is also true of instrumental sessions I've attended. Our song group's host and I were discussing a crackdown, something he doesn't like to do but feels pressed to.

"In my view, people who have known each other for years and like to play in a certain way, shouldn't be criticized by newcomers for wanting to hold to a certain standard. Whether it's repertoire, "allowed" instruments, preferred tempos, or whatever. If the jam doesn't appeal to you, look for another one."

Yeah, but it takes work to arrange a setting, gather people together, and host a group. It's much easier to sabotage a group already in existence. I accept that here's always a certain amount of cultural politics creating some tension at music sessions. However, you can vote with your feet if you don't like the customs of the core group. Fifty people can turn away, but if a group of five or six regulars is committed to the session's ideals, great. If less than that turn up, the host will realize that either his interest is too obscure or he's doing something wrong. (Has anyone started a session in which everyone plays "Wagon Wheel" for two hours? That might be popular.)
    Last edited by Ranald; Feb-01-2023 at 5:49pm.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Jim Lansford was not only a great mandolin player, and guitar player, he was also a great fiddle player. He had the limpest wrist I have ever seen. We joked about it and he said he didn't know how it got that way. It was sure fun to watch. Jim left us way too soon.

At our OT jams some of the guitar players and fiddle players like to sit by me playing mandolin. I have played square dances with solo mandolin, it works well with the tunes. I seldom play fiddle for a long time now, we have more than enough fiddle players. It's nice here, if we have a party or dance we have at least 3-5 callers and plenty of musicians. No one gets down on beginners, we have all been there at one time. I learned most of the tunes I know at jams over the last few decades.
    Last edited by pops1; Feb-01-2023 at 7:12pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

You can accomplish all that without being snobby. Or not, it’s a choice.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

16. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Ranald 

Maybe, like the cops in the session, they are forced into the role by the dynamics of social interaction?
    They don’t necessarily want to be like that, they just have precise objectives.
    -of course it would be nice if they didn’t behave in ways that rile the others further.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Feb-01-2023 at 6:18pm.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

newtonRanald 

Old-Time and bluegrass jams are rarely ruined by mandolins. 95% of the time the problem is low-effort guitar strummers who don't seek to understand the genre the jam is dedicated to.

...who don't seek to understand the genre the jam is dedicated to.
    And I think that is the key. State up front that this is the situation. Folks can choose to participate or not.

...official or unspoken guide rails to protect the genre they've chosen to play, so it doesn't just turn into a free-for-all where anything goes
    Or, god forbid, "world music"...

Again, as long as it is communicated clearly, and respectfully, that this is the music that we are choosing to play...folks can choose to participate or not.
    Even done as nicely as possible - some people may still react badly. That is their choice.

Kirk

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiltman For This Useful Post:

newtonRanald 

Quote Originally Posted by tiltman View Post
    And I think that is the key. State up front that this is the situation. Folks can choose to participate or not.
    I think, despite the online talk about bluegrass and old time "police," most people are pretty non-confrontational. You would think that if you went to a jam with a bunch of fiddles and open-back banjos, playing instrumental tunes, and staying in the same key for a while to accommodate banjo retuning, you would know it's not the place to strum and sing "Margaritaville," but people can be pretty oblivious.

23. The following members say thank you to newton for this post:

Ranald 

Surprising that few mention Compton in these OT mandolin threads. He plays a lot of OT around Nashville and set something of a mold for mando rhythm during his time with the Hartford String Band.
    ‘Course, getting that Compton Sound is no easy feat.

25. The following members say thank you to Bacfire for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    …you would know it's not the place to strum and sing "Margaritaville," but people can be pretty oblivious…

I loooove that song, does anyone here have the TAB?
    See, you get two or three nice, friendly, enthusiastic people who want to sing that over your OldTime jam - personally I’d find it difficult to resist.

https://youtu.be/67J_sUz7cdY

Quote Originally Posted by Bacfire View Post
    Surprising that few mention Compton in these OT mandolin threads. He plays a lot of OT around Nashville and set something of a mold for mando rhythm during his time with the Hartford String Band.
    ‘Course, getting that Compton Sound is no easy feat.
    Tell me about it! Compton’s rhythm is great.
    I’ve had the whole day learning a different and slightly obscure rhythm (wont say which one) and I ended up playing a reel as a very rubatoed Slow Air.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I loooove that song, does anyone here have the TAB?
    See, you get two or three nice, friendly, enthusiastic people who want to sing that over your OldTime jam - personally I’d find it difficult to resist.

https://youtu.be/67J_sUz7cdY
    Old time jam etiquette requires you to do it when the banjos are in D tuning

Here's an OT vs BG discussion session from Augusta. Compton talking about OT mando at 29:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQz1trMf3HU

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bacfire For This Useful Post:

This is not a typical old time session tune, but check John Reischman’s approach to playing rhythm on it. If you don’t have too many guitars playing rhythm this can work i think.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    Every so often one really can reach a feeling of blissful euphoria, something that for me never happens in bluegrass.
    I would never say never, but I would say, yup.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I ran a coffeehouse years ago, that featured two healthy self sustaining jam sessions. Tuesday night was old time. Thursday night was bluegrass. Very few switch hitters. Lots of fun for everyone. Each side had its snobs, of course, we all know that what we do is what is right and what we like is what should be liked.

The entire staff
    funny....

35. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

newton 

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    This is not a typical old time session tune, but check John Reischman’s approach to playing rhythm on it. If you don’t have too many guitars playing rhythm this can work i think.

Now there’s a tune!
    And even with the guitar here (which is really nice too) you can hear the difference.
    Like the difference between a good Strathspey and something that’s more DUDDUD double jig, and then DUDUDU, what I’d call a classical jig.

37. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Now there’s a tune!
    And even with the guitar here (which is really nice too) you can hear the difference.
    Like the difference between a good Strathspey and something that’s more DUDDUD double jig, and then DUDUDU, what I’d call a classical jig.
    We jam that tune a lot at the weekly bluegrass jam I go to, it’s one of my favorites. I highly recommend learning some Reischman tunes, they’re real fun.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

I wasn't previously entirely conscious of it till hearing Reischman above, but I recognize that I do a lot of that "ringy, stringy", double-string sort of backup playing, totally appropriate in old-timey playing. I play mandolin with all types of players in all types of music, and I think that sort of approach works pretty universally (okay, not bluegrass, necessarily). Might not work so well with a heavy-handed approach, tho...

Addressing the topic of session "etiquette", as it was put by the author of this post, I believe what works in life translates to what works in music. Cognizance. Civility. Sensitivity. Not only to other players, but in service to the music. I do not believe an anything-goes, kitchen sink approach particularly serves the music...seems like the homogenization of everydamnthing is so pervasive, usually perpetrated with selfish, insensitive motivation. "Keepin' it real" is an overused buzz phrase, but in many cases, good advice. Reckon I'm a snob to some...
    too many strings

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    Cognizance. Civility. Sensitivity. Not only to other players, but in service to the music. I do not believe an anything-goes, kitchen sink approach particularly serves the music...seems like the homogenization of everydamnthing is so pervasive, usually perpetrated with selfish, insensitive motivation. "Keepin' it real" is an overused buzz phrase, but in many cases, good advice. ..
    I agree. Cognizance is, reality, listening and understanding. Understanding that there are many types of jam sessions, with many different things are appropriate at different times, and by just listening one can sort it out. Be the bunny.

Rather than trying to cobble to gether a single set of rules for all music, that denies stylistic and regional differences, that are the heart and soul of things.

The entire staff
    funny....

42. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

newton