Thread: Karasik jam with a 23 and a 24 Loar and 1918 Gibson L4 guitar

Default Karasik jam with a 23 and a 24 Loar and 1918 Gibson L4 guitar

I thought this was great, I have to admit I thought the tone on the 24 was more to my liking then the 23, not that the difference was huge. Surprisingly I was really drawn to the tone of that L4 guitar even more than the mandolins. Well played by all 3 at any rate.

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Karasik jam with a 23 and a 24 Loar and 1918 Gibson L4 guitar

I agree ref the tone of the 23 vs 24.... however, some of that might very well be in the hand of the player rather than the instrument itself...
    John D

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

100%. I've been to jams where one person playing a loar was the weakest person in the entire room and then when they switched mandolins, the other player blew the doors off the entire room playing it.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Let's not forget other factors, such as strings and picks, of which many have made much. But seriously, apart from the definite possibility that technique plays a part, there's the mandolins' attitude to the microphone. The '24 is facing the mic directly; the '23, not so much.

Anyway, this is a delightfully spry rendition of the old warhorse. Thanks for sharing.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Let's not forget other factors, such as strings and picks, of which many have made much. But seriously, apart from the definite possibility that technique plays a part, there's the mandolins' attitude to the microphone. The '24 is facing the mic directly; the '23, not so much.

Anyway, this is a delightfully spry rendition of the old warhorse. Thanks for sharing.

Speculation regarding tone and players on a quick recording played back through the internet and (likely) listened via computer speakers seems unwise and maybe missing the point.

Have played both of these instruments and with both of the players and all 4 are magnificent (instruments and people).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wbcohen View Post
    Speculation regarding tone and players on a quick recording played back through the internet and (likely) listened via computer speakers seems unwise and maybe missing the point.
    Yes, and pretty much my point. I was commenting more on a couple members' comments than on the performance itself.

Have played both of these instruments and with both of the players and all 4 are magnificent (instruments and people).
    Thanks for your insight, and wouldn't surprise me a bit. I think the most pertinent factor in this recording is the '23 was not providing its best possible sound to the mic, being not faced directly toward it as the '24 is, thus affecting listeners' perceptions. In other words, that makes more of a difference than the actual quality of the instruments - even though some around here with more hands-on experience with Loars attest there is a noticeable variance in such instruments' qualities. But do you have an opinion about which of these is "better," or are they fairly equally magnificent?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Looking at my friends Pava one day at a jam and when I played my Brentrup she said " wow that is loud". Her Pava was soft. When I played the Pava it was also loud. I don't strike hard, nor was I trying to be loud. Technique makes a huge difference. I think something similar here, two different playing styles.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Wasn’t picking on anyone. Just quoted the last post. Nothing pointed.

Both are excellent. Just different.

11. The following members say thank you to wbcohen for this post:

Blog Entries

I think something like this might be going on (he said, mentioning the elephant in the room).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blind People And Elephant.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	205825

BTW, I took it upon myself to see what is meant by The Karasik Mandolin Project, and while I'm not exactly sure how it got its name, it has been making the rounds, being played by many different people in many different styles and genres, and sounds really fine most of the time. A little bit of research often helps to enlighten one beyond one's first impression.

Aha. From facebook:

"The Gibson" Master Model Mandolin, model F-5 was signed by Lloyd A. Loar on January 5, 1923, designated, serial No. 71839.

Fifteen months later Ely Karasik was born. It took 14 years before they were united.

It was purchased by his Pop who must have anticipated the spark in young Ely's eye when he got it.

His Mom and Pop protected it when Ely went to war hoping his desire to play it was strong enough to keep himself safe.

IT WAS.

The pictures here have been taken over a number of years. The Karasik Mandolin is all original except for reproduction tuning machines that were installed recently.

In September, 2017 The Karasik Mandolin was carefully cleaned and fine-tuned by Frederick W. Oster of Vintage Instruments, Inc. at which time he installed a brand new set of Waverly silver finish/pearl knob tuners #6050.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-30-2023 at 10:53pm. Reason: further research

She has a whole you tube channel dedicated to various videos of that 23 Loar being played by different people.

Having watched a few, I still say the 24 is more to my liking.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"