Thread: O'Dell mandolins and question about two-points ...

Default O'Dell mandolins and question about two-points ...

Found O'Dells when researching for a local builder. He has a good rep for his high end solid body guitar builds, but his mandos are gorgeous, too, and definitely high-end. Saw a few old adds. Anyone played an O'Dell? What'd think? He has two unfinished two-pointers and offered me a killer deal on one.

About two-pointers in general ... are there generalizations that can be made about their tone? To my ears most F-models are sharp, cutting and dry. At least the ones I've played or heard live (MK, Collings, Gibson, Kentucky, Eastman). While A models are more 'rounded', warm, not as cutting. Though the Collings A I played was an exception and sounded sharper but with less volume than other As. Are there general characteristics to two-pointers? Or does it just depend on the builder, bracing, etc?

I have an F model that's very loud and cutting, and an A model that's very sweet. Wondering what a two-pointer would bring to the party?

Yes ... I have a bad case of MAS. It's the same with guitars, basses, upright basses, etc. Just crazy. My wife and I have musical instruments stuffed everywhere but they're played every day.

Default Re: O'Dell mandolins and question about two-points ...

I don’t know O’Dell mandolins and since I don’t know I don’t know what a killer deal would be—compared to what?

The prime voicing of mandolins depends on bracing and soundhole shape and position. Generally an A and an F with f-holes and same woods would sound similar but an oval hole mandolin, regardless of the body style, would sound different. And how the instruments were braced would make more of a difference.

As for O’Dell: is the maker near you that you can play it in person. That would be great. You can’t just go by looks. It may be wonderful. Maybe there are folks here who do know the maker.

Here’s the link to his site: https://www.odellguitars.com/mandolins
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It's unfinished, thus ... no try-outs.

Wait! Didn’t you just get a Silver Angel? Already looking for another mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Are we talking Doug O'Dell?

Are these solid body mandolins or acoustics?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yeah, Doug. Acoustic two-pointer.

And yeah ... just got an A model SA. My theory is you can never have too many guitars, guns, or motorcycles.
    Last edited by Snakum; Feb-01-2023 at 4:56am.

Blog Entries

I'm with Jim Garber on this from post 2 above. Also, don't expect all F hole or oval holes to sound the same. Gibsons sound like Gibsons and Collings sound like Collings. with the oval hole you can also get differences on the bracing used (tansverse vs X bracing vs Tonebars) and if the neck join is at the 12 vs 14 fret or if the fingerboard is elevated. Certainly the tonewoods for the top and back come into play as well.

Have someone play 10 Oval Hole vs F Hole F vs A styles and see if your guesses are any good at identifying the body shape.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have an ‘83 Flatiron A5-2, f-holes, x-braced that can compete with many for that bluegrass sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's an f-hole 2 pronger. For a different tone maybe I should look at oval holes. Actually, my wife loves Sara Jarosz' octave tunes, so I have though about picking one up.

Two points often have a slightly larger soundbox than either F or A styles.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Two points often have a slightly larger soundbox than either F or A styles.
    But I'm guessing there's no way to generalize how that affects the sound?

I looked at Ken's Fantasm two-pointers and love the look. But I have no idea what they sound like.

I ask so many questions because I know basically nothing about mandolins. Just picked it up Thanksgiving weekend and fell in love with it. Gigging in bar bands since I was 14 I generally know what a solid body electric is probably going to sound like, depending on the wood, pickups, weight relief, etc. But mandolins and acoustic guitars are a whole different ballgame.

Just trying to learn.

I've played Collings A models that all seemed lower volume but lots of mids and highs. Eastman As seemed to have a lot of volume but are warmer and not as cutting. Gibson Fs were both moderately loud and very cutting. Kentucky A styles were similar to Eastmans. And my meager MK that was evidently sprinkled in Korean fairy dust is still the loudest mando I've ever heard yet not harsh. Sentiment echoed by others who've listened to it. And of course SA A models have that smooth, sweet thing going on.

I guess when it comes to mandolins ya just gotta play em first or buy/build and take your chances.

I've had several of Doug's solidbody mandolins. Never tried an acoustic one.

And I thought he was retired and/or deceased. Glad to know otherwise.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I've gotten emails from 'Roger' and from 'Keith' O'Dell in Moravian Falls, NC (where I was born and raised, oddly enough). I dunno about 'Doug'. Could be someone else?

The pics of the two as yet unassembled/completed two-pointers are beautiful. Trying to decide on a high build vs an octave mando.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakum View Post
    I've gotten emails from 'Roger' and from 'Keith' O'Dell in Moravian Falls, NC (where I was born and raised, oddly enough). I dunno about 'Doug'. Could be someone else?
    Doug O'Dell was from Ohio and built under the brand name Old Town.
    http://cg-tugs.org/otm/

Keith O'Dell is from North Carolina. He used to have a Facebook page for O'Dell Guitars but it doesn't seem to be active.
    Last edited by mrmando; Feb-01-2023 at 7:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Doug O'Dell was from Ohio and built under the brand name Old Town.
    http://cg-tugs.org/otm/

Keith O'Dell is from North Carolina. He used to have a Facebook page for O'Dell Guitars but it doesn't seem to be active.
    He's got a website though. odellguitars.com.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A