Thread: Introduction of a new member

Thumbs up Introduction of a new member

Hi All! My first post. I joined the forum because my daughter and I are about to embark on acquiring instruments and learning mandolin.

I'm a guitar player from way back. But life got in the way, so lots of years were lost in the interim. I'm a middle-aged now and still hammering around at it. I'm really excited to learn mandolin, and WAY More excited that my 16 y/o daughter is eager to start as well, and thus, this can be something that will help keep us close as she finishes the next few years of high school.

She plays piano, flute and french horn now (all in varying degrees of competency). But flute very well, and piano pretty good. And french horn as a mid-beginner.

I know we want to get F type. And I know me well enough to know that I may as well go big now, because I'll get there sooner or later anyway, and lose money on every flip on the way there. I'll probably get her something more intermediate. For now, I'm having fun shopping online, learning, and dreaming for now.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in Western PA, so shout out if you're local. Take care all!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0gue For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Introduction of a new member

Hi, r0gue.
    Welcome aboard to you and your daughter. I have a daughter who's played trad music with me since she was a little child. It's rewarding to share these musical experiences. I have no advice for you, but you'll find the Forum a great place for support and advice. Ask any questions you have, and you'll get answers. Occasionally, everyone agrees.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

4. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

r0gue 

Welcome to you and your daughter to the crazy world of mandolin!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

6. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

r0gue 

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Welcome to the world of MAS!
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

8. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post:

r0gue 

Welcome to the wonderful world of the mandolin. I am assuming that you are just introducing yourself. I will also assume that you are not asking for advice on what to buy though I am sure that people will offer it anyway. Just let us know if you want any of our opinions and I am sure you will get them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

r0gue 

I certainly welcome any and all advice. I will preface that with my sharing of my preference for American (or Canadian) made instruments. "Local" if you will.

Welcome! Also swing by the newbies social group and make yourself at home. You’ve come to the right place.

13. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

r0gue 

Well done, sounds like a lot of fun!
    I guess you know about the Suzuki method for joint lessons?
    It’s a method for people who have differing levels of competence or resources (one area in one person compliments another often quite different area in someone else).
    It’s to avoid judgements like: you can only be in our band if you’re as good as us, and it works well for people who have previous and long term, committed social attachments.

15. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

r0gue 

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Well done, sounds like a lot of fun!
    I guess you know about the Suzuki method for joint lessons?
    I do not, but will research. And perhaps whatever teacher we find will as well. I'm thinking to some degree, her mastery of theory will be as helpful as my experience with strings.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by r0gue View Post
    I certainly welcome any and all advice. I will preface that with my sharing of my preference for American (or Canadian) made instruments. "Local" if you will.
    ln that case it always helps to know a few other details. What are your budgets for these instruments? What genres do you want to play? No doubt that you will hear the statement that you get more bang for your buck with an A-style mandolin with sacrificing tone as for the F you will be paying for cosmetics of producing a more complicated design. Also you mention going big for your choice. I am not sure what that means. Also, have you played many mandolins and are you interested in contemporary mandolins or would you consider vintage ones?

Since you are in Western PA, have you been to Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. It looks like they have an excellent selection of mandolins: https://acousticmusicworks.com/collections/mandolins
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

r0gue 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ln that case it always helps to know a few other details. What are your budgets for these instruments? What genres do you want to play? No doubt that you will hear the statement that you get more bang for your buck with an A-style mandolin with sacrificing tone as for the F you will be paying for cosmetics of producing a more complicated design. Also you mention going big for your choice. I am not sure what that means. Also, have you played many mandolins and are you interested in contemporary mandolins or would you consider vintage ones?

Since you are in Western PA, have you been to Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. It looks like they have an excellent selection of mandolins: https://acousticmusicworks.com/collections/mandolins
    Well, for me personally, I definitely prefer the F type, but my daughter may end up with an A type if she likes them or if there's not a strong preference. Budget is very open-ended. I tend to be a buy once and keep it, rather than trade my way up. And I always end up getting tempted up, so the shortest path/straight line thing... Plus I look at it as money stored, not money spent. They retain value well if you buy quality well.

I am open to vintage, but when looking at some like on Carter Vintage Exchange, I'm really in awe of how expensive they can get. Like six digits expensive! But I am definitely planning to be in the four digits. And as I prefer an American crafted mandolin (or guitar for that matter), I'll be above the lowest of the four digits eh?

I have used AMW for some work on my guitar before. They have some gorgeous mandolins. Hoping to get back down there soon. Couple of good guys in that shop. I have not played many mandolins yet.
    Last edited by r0gue; Feb-03-2023 at 4:55pm.

Blog Entries

Welcome!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

21. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

r0gue 

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Welcome to the forum.

I’m with you about the F body. I have a serious case of scroll envy by myself. But an American made F body? That’s tough without writing a big check.

Check out the Acoustic Shoppe and their shop special Gibson F9s. American made, premium tonewood, wide nut, radius fretboard. Check out some of their YouTube videos of them playing the Gibson F9.

That price tag though…

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 500 or 600 series Eastman. I just recently bought an Eastman 514 for myself. One of those can easily be a lifetime instrument. Again check out some of the YouTube videos from the Acoustic Shoppe .
    Last edited by Dan in NH; Feb-03-2023 at 6:40pm.

23. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

r0gue 

Also, go to The Mandolin Store and check out a Northfield Big Mon. A few dollars cheaper than a Gibson F9.

Both these stores are forum sponsors, and offer free shipping & free set up of online mandolin purchases.

25. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

r0gue 

Hi r0gue - I'm another newbie but welcome all the same! I'm in a similar place as you - guitar player who decided to pick up mandolin. One thing I've learned is that my guitar playing callouses weren't ready for the mandolin! The triumvirate of short-scale, high tension, and double strings is surprisingly tougher on my fingers than my guitars -although I adapted pretty quickly. Best of luck to you and your daughter in your mandolin journey.
    2022 Eastman MD515/V
    2022 Gibson F-5G

27. The following members say thank you to TarHeelPicker for this post:

r0gue 

Hi r0gue - Welcome... Glad you and your daughter will have some together time...I feel ya'. My fingers were pristine, no callouses. Long, long ago (35 yrs) in a galaxy far, far away, I attempted the Banjo as my first string instrument and got frustrated with the Scruggs Style picking - so I gave it up. Now retired, I have the time to pick up the mandolin (thought about it about 25 yrs ago). It's definitely a change from the Pipe Organ and Recorders, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

29. The following members say thank you to Twistofer56 for this post:

r0gue 

Welcome aboard

31. The following members say thank you to Captain Kirk for this post:

r0gue 

As it always happens, I've sort of fallen for a lovey (pricey) instrument. It's used, a few years old. Couple of dings. But it's beautiful.

May I ask, thoughts on Italian spruce for the top?

The 2016 Collings? Man, you don't play around.

Varnish finish, mmmmm...

What's your daughter getting?

Enjoy.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

34. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

r0gue 

Well, to start with, a late 1970s Suzuki --

And we'll see from there. I think she'll gravitate to an A type, but I image that spherical back will be less desirable compared to a more modern type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230203_080150.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	367.9 KB 
ID:	205918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230203_080157.jpg 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	205919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230203_080214.jpg 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	205920