Thread: Kentucky Master Model Backs

Registered User TatorTotHotdish's Avatar

Default Kentucky Master Model Backs

I always have kept an eye on Kentucy Mandolins and have been noticing lately that the backs on quite a few Master Model Mandolins don't have much flame or figured backs. Many don't appear to be book matched either. I guess my questions are......has sourcing instrument wood become difficult for instrument builders or is a figured back not as desirable or important as it use to be.

Default Re: Kentucky Master Model Backs

I don't really think anything has changed. Kentucky's advertisements have touted "highly figured" wood as far back as I've seen. Those Japanese built "highly figured" models were the KM-1500 Master Models as well as the KM-850s. The KM-1000 ads just said "figured" maple. The current 1500s also claim to have "highly figured (Michigan) Maple".

In spite of the claims, I've seen very few Kentucky's, old or new with particularly great figure or flamed back wood. Not saying they don't exist, just that they are relatively few. I love my '82 KM-1500 but I'd say the wood was chosen for the sound quality rather than visual appeal.

The first pic is an early 80s KM-1500.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	213078

Second pic of brand new KM-1500.

Name:	NEW KENTUCKY KM 1500 BACK.jpeg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	213077

Both very nice, not all that different, but neither has figure that is super impressive IMO.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

3. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Here is a pic of a current KM 950 on internet. Very very little figure. I just thought for the prices of the Master Models, the backs would be more striking. I had one of the first KM 505 (the burgandy-ish ones) and it has nice bookmatched flamed back. Kentucky is by far my favorite pac rim made mandolin company. I think some of the vintage gibsons with one piece plank sawn backs are just as striking as flamed, figured book matched backs, but some thought has to go into it.

Name:	Kentucky_KM_970_09512Large.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	213079

It could just be the cost of figured wood has guided some choices. My KM950 isn't new, but it has enough figure. You can pay more for mandolins that don't have any more figure than Kentucky Master Models, from what I've seen. Also, taking pictures of flamed maple with a gloss finish is harder than possibly a lot of the places selling Kentucky mandolins are willing to spend time/money solving.

Here are 2 quick pics from mine. You can see in the back how the auto-focus is confused by the reflected image, i.e., so not sharp. (Try taking a picture of a mirror, vs. what's reflected in it sometime!) How it looks depends a great deal on the lighting, too. (And, yes, it's not book-matched; but I don't care and it's really just a cosmetic thing, IMHO.)

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	213080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	213081
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

6. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Here is back of my KM 900. Not a glossy finish, but photo shows pretty true likeness.
    Mine is back when they cost under $1000.00. So maybe it is a cost of figured maple and labor to bookmatch? Just seemed to me like something changed and was curious if there was any truth to it, and if anyone else was noticing a difference.

Name:	20240418_144734.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	608.3 KB 
ID:	213087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240418_144747.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	685.7 KB 
ID:	213088

My 2022 KM-1000B. The sunburst is a bit off-center, but that's OK.

Name:	New mando.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	213095
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Quote Originally Posted by 20MartinA View Post
    My 2022 KM-1000B.
    Nice! Wish they made a KM950 in black.
    Last edited by TatorTotHotdish; Apr-19-2024 at 12:59pm.

My 2021 KM-1050 has a nice flame back. It’s hard to post pictures on here. (I’m on my iPhone 10.) I have some pictures on my page though It’s a great sounding mandolin..

Quote Originally Posted by TatorTotHotdish View Post
    Nice! Wish they made a KM950 in black.
    So, it's your instrument(s), your choice, but [to me!] it's a little funny/ironic that you want the part of the mandolin nobody else can see to be "prettier," but the part they can see, you want painted black!

Me, I'm a sunburst mandolin kind of person, it turns out. Not all blond/natural, and not so opaque that the grain is completely obscured. (Ok, save on the headstock and heel - those are like the back of your elbow kind of places...)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    So, it's your instrument(s), your choice, but [to me!] it's a little funny/ironic that you want the part of the mandolin nobody else can see to be "prettier," but the part they can see, you want painted black!
    The prettiest part in my opinion is usually the back. I like sunburst fronts also, but I like black also, makes the sides and back more striking.

I’ll agree that those I’ve seen in the classifieds of late generally are much more plain than they were 15-20 years ago…purely subjective observation. I’ve not been cataloging pics of Kentucky backs through the years…

My Kelley A5 has some figure, but it’s not spectacular. But, the tone sure is. I can’t imagine it ever leaving the fold. My Rigel CT-110 bird’s eye back is more striking, and I really like that mandolin, but I’d sell it before the Kelley. The Kelley back is pretty, just not as opulent as those Ellis and Collings quilted maple reserve backs that hit the classifieds from time to time. While I’m definitely a fan of a beautiful back, the tone is what matters most. It makes sense for the “budget” mandolins to have less figured backs, as long as the tone is there. And many well respected luthiers have given testimony that figure doesn’t equal tone…

My KM5000 Monroe model has really nicely flamed maple back and sides. A fine mandolin all around.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Just checked out the back of my KM-950 after seeing this post. Never really paid attention to the figuring in the wood but now see it MAY be less "figured" than other more expensive mandolins I have owned, said without certainty.
    I guess other factors are more important to me in a mandolin such as those attributed to tone, playability, and build quality.
    What I can say with certainty about my 950 is that it exceeds my expectations for what I do look for in a mandolin in this price range.
    Perhaps I may now pay more attention to figuring, but then again, maybe not.
    This post also serves to make me understand why some people post a picture of the back of their mandolin when selling in the classifieds. This has always confounded me in the past.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Tone is as important to me as the next guy, but to me so is the visual aspect of the back. I know you can have both tone and a spectacular back.

The KM950 and Km1500 are Kentuckys top of the line. It surprises me as of lately a lot of the backs are underwhelming, especially with the price jump. It seems to me all the backs as of a few years ago were pretty consistent.

Original post was just my observation and wondering if there was any validity to it.
    Last edited by TatorTotHotdish; Apr-20-2024 at 9:46am. Reason: Brain not working

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=TatorTotHotdish;1937698

Original post was just my observation and wondering if there was any validity to it.[/QUOTE]
    Sorry I tend to overthink things.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Sorry I tend to overthink things.
    Lol, I do too!