Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213

Thread: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Default Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Hi Scott, thanks for the question and clarification.

As I said in my previous post, to MY ears it sounds slightly warmer, that's the way I hear it, but that's just me, some other mandolin players have agreed with me, others have said it's noticeably different and "better". I recommend you watch some of the demo videos and opinions of the professional mandolin players. It really depends on the person. We will make some more comparison video demos soon so you can hear for yourself the differenced, but there are a few things that both materials have in common.

First, the sound of the mandolin is much louder and has more cut than a wood mandolin, this is because the surface of wood is softer than carbon fiber, and it absorbs a little bit of the sound, where carbon fiber is a harder surface and reflects the sound more. You can compare it to an echo in a cave or brick room, as opposed to a music room with padded walls. There is more sound bouncing off, instead of absorbing, and that makes it sound louder and more clear.

Secondly carbon fiber has longer sustain, making it ring longer, and more clearer. It naturally has more spring and stiffness than wood, so it has more clear harmonics, and sustain.

These factors are great for a mandolin because the mandolin is naturally a small instrument, so the adde volume is very helpful, also the tuning on mandolin strings is high pitched, so having the clearer and more cutting sound also adds to the desired sounds of a mandolin.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian Klos For This Useful Post:

I was also an early paid in full order. I opted out of their built in pre-amp, just not for me. I noticed today that uni-directional carbon has vanished as an option from all of Klos instruments.. I sure hope there isn’t an issue, as that’s the finish I ordered, I shot them an email about it, and will post a follow up if Ian doesn’t respond here first.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I checked the Klos website to see if they were any case stickers that they offer for sale, and I didn’t see any. Couldn’t find any pictures of any on Google, either.

I ordered the fiberglass mandolin case along with my Klos mandolin. What do you suppose the odds are that when I get my mandolin, they’ll be a Klos sticker in the box?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Received an email from Klos, unidirectional remains an option for all instruments, but because it hasn’t been super popular it’s now a “secret menu” option. Cool stuff. Last I saw they said they’re shipping pre-orders starting in April… so counting down the days..

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindBlownMariner View Post
    Last I saw they said they’re shipping pre-orders starting in April… so counting down the days..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	don't give me hope.gif 
Views:	5 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	212735
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.