Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Default Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Question for KLOS and others. When I take a carbon fiber mandolin to my local guitar shop for the inevitable refret, what do I tell them? Would they be able to handle it or would they say "send it to NASA" ("to Space-X", these days)? If there is any irregularity in the fretboard (high spots, chips, nail gauges), is this easy to fix? I assume the answer is "no" to all of the above if fretboard is integral to the neck and frets are "glued in". What is the actual situation and the actual owner experience? (as I understand, there is an unplayable peter mix carbon fiber mandolin with neck trouble kicking around right now). (As I understand, on a mandolin, bridge/saddle, nut, frets/fretboard, tail piece and tuning machines are considered as "consumables").
    I think the fretboard for klos guitars is richlite, which is a pretty standard material and most luthiers would be able to work on the frets with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Question for KLOS and others. When I take a carbon fiber mandolin to my local guitar shop for the inevitable refret, what do I tell them? Would they be able to handle it or would they say "send it to NASA" ("to Space-X", these days)? If there is any irregularity in the fretboard (high spots, chips, nail gauges), is this easy to fix? I assume the answer is "no" to all of the above if fretboard is integral to the neck and frets are "glued in". What is the actual situation and the actual owner experience? (as I understand, there is an unplayable peter mix carbon fiber mandolin with neck trouble kicking around right now). (As I understand, on a mandolin, bridge/saddle, nut, frets/fretboard, tail piece and tuning machines are considered as "consumables").
    Mr. Klos stated that the frets will be stainless steel instead of the standard nickel silver material. Stainless steel is more durable and wear resistant, so you probably won't have to worry about refretting, unless you play a lot.

I think if you survey instruments out there in the market, 1 1/8” nut width is the most common, so I would suggest sticking with that if you want to appeal to the most customers.

As for your question on frets, 20 is plenty for me.

Really looking forward to seeing these when they come out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Klos View Post
    Hi guys, this is Ian, the head luthier at KLOS Guitars. Thanks for all your comments and support. I was planing on making the mandolin a traditional A style, with a 12" radius fretboard, and a nut width of 1 3/16" (1.1875" (30.16 mm)). I was planing on making a traditional arched top and back, with F holes. It will have stainless steel frets (2x1 mm), and a cast tail piece.

A 1.1875" nut width is considered a hair on the wider side because that is what everyone has been asking for, but we will have the option to have custom string spacing at the nut, so you guys can choose if you want the strings narrower or wider, which is actually more important than the actual nut width. So basically we will have standard string spacing, and also slightly wider string spacing. We will have our Plek machine next week, so we will be able to do very accurate nut string spacing, leveling and setup.

I had a couple questions for you guys, do you want 20 frets or 22 frets? Sometimes the higher frets get in the way when I pic, so personally I prefer 20 frets.

I was going to set the heel back about 1.5" more than typical, this would make it much easier to play at higher frets.

I was going to use D'addario strings, do you guys have a preference of which model?

Do you guys have a preference on neck profile and neck thickness? I was going to go with something standard like on modern Webers, or do you guys prefer a soft V?

I was also thinking about shrinking the headstock about 10 or 20% smaller than typical headstocks, to help prevent nose dive, what do you think about that? This would basically bring the tuners down about 1/2", and make the total length of the headstock about 1" shorter.

I am not an expert mandolin player myself, so I'm making most of my design decisions based on what my mandolin friends tell me, and all the people reaching out to us about wanting a mandolin.

Cheers,
    Ian

Thank you all for all your input, and opinions, we’ll make this thing a little beauty, you guys will love!

In response to all your comments:
    -I wasn’t planing on making fingerboard extensions, so it won’t have that.
    -Sounds like sticking to the 22 frets is what I will continue with.
    -Round modern neck profile on the back of the neck.
    -Strap button at the heel will be optional. Though you should know that the fretboard will be floating starting at the 13-14 fret, so it will be easy to have the strap wrap around the body, under the fretboard.
    -Frets that are 2x1 mm size means that it’s 2 mm wide, and 1 mm tall, this is pretty standard for good quality mandolins, but it’s definitely on the larger side of the spectrum.
    -We will use stainless steel frets, which will probably last more than a lifetime, but if you do need to re-fret, the process is exactly the same as with a wood mandolin. We don’t glue our frets in or anything like that, just press them in. One thing is important tho, when you use a fret press, you need to be careful not to press more than necessary, because a fret press can be very powerful, and do some damage to the carbon neck because it is hollow. Anyone who has experience with fret replacements won’t have any problems. Our factory can also do fret replacements for you down the line if you send your instrument in.
    -When I mentioned slightly shrinking the headstock by about 10-20%, I was planing on leaving the tuner spacing the same, but from the comments, it sounds like I should just keep the headstock standard size.
    -Most people want a 12” radius fretboard these days, so that’s what we will go with, but I suppose we can do a custom flat fretboard if there is enough interest. We can also do a compound radius, from about 10-14” (10” at the 1st fret, and 14” at the 22nd fret). Or a 14” fretboard across the board… If someone is interested in this, just reach out to our customer service team when making your order.
    -A nut width of 1 1/8, and 1 3/16, are the most common, and they are only different by 1/16, which is 1/32 on each side of the nut, I was planing on going right in the middle, but in the end it’s the string spacing that matters, so we will offer standard string spacing at the nut, and also wide string spacing, and we can also always do any custom string spacing at the nut. You can always swap out a nut for something different down the line.
    -In regard to pickups, we can definitely do the K&K, but I am also looking at some other options that can have a volume and tone control for playing on stage.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions or questions. We will be launching the KLOS Mandolin on a kickstarter campaign, and we will have a pretty sweet discount for y’all early supporters, so I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Ian Klosowiak

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian Klos For This Useful Post:

I'm very happy about that news about the heel button and availability of a flat radius. Thank you!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Sounds great Ian! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks, Ian! I like your thinking and looks forward to the finished product. The last thing I need is yet another mandolin but the CF possibilities are very enticing and if you keep it within the proposed price range even more so. Keep us apprised of further developments and when the Kickstarter campaign launches.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I am new to the forum, amd a fairly new Mandolin player. I transitioned from the guitar mostly for the portability and fell in love. I am also an avid sailor and am preparing to spend a few years out cruising, and so have been searching for a carbon fibre mandolin.
    I have filled out the interest form for Klos a few times and never gotten anything back. I am probably doing something wrong...
    I am super excited and will definitely be an early buyer.
    I love the concept Klos is pursuing (traditional A style with arched top and back, and F holes. I am fine with a 12" radius fretboard, and a nut width of 1 3/16" (1.1875" (30.16 mm)). I like the stainless steel frets for durability and corrosion resistance.

I think I would be happier with 20 frets but not a major preference. Standard neck profile is good. Not knowledgeable enough on strings to comment. I agree that there is no real reason to shrink the headstock.

Thanks and can't wait till Klos starts production!

I haven't gotten a notice about the Kickstarter campaign yet, but saw this pop up on the Klos site.

https://klosguitars.com/products/carbon-fiber-mandolin

Is this what we're supposed to use, or do we wait for the Kickstarter link? I seem to remember talk of a discount using Kickstarter when we signed up for the notices.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

50% off to pre-order and take a chance on an unknown mandolin. No photos or sound file. Shipping in April. I wonder if there is a possibility of refund if the early buyer doesn’t like it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I wonder if it sounds a bit like this?
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-tenor.154261/
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I’ve been saving for my lifetime mandolin, but I found this intriguing. Now that it’s pull-the-trigger time, I’m hesitant.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Early buyer price $1300, full retail $2600. Unlike Eastman & Kentucky products, street price for a Klos product is the MSRP. Meaning you could buy one for $1300 today, receive it in April, HATE it, and sell it on Reverb for an easy $1500.

This is zero risk. We all need to buy one.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    I wonder if it sounds a bit like this?
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-tenor.154261/
    Probably not. Ukes are nylon string.

Let’s all hope it doesn’t come with an El Cheapo stamped tailpiece.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I’ve been saving for my lifetime mandolin, but I found this intriguing. Now that it’s pull-the-trigger time, I’m hesitant.
    Sorry guy. Its funny. I bought my lifetime mandolin three mandolins ago.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

The temperature and humidity stability of carbon fiber is what interests me.

My bowl backs are all in the 100 to 120 year old range. And though I have considerable fun with them, they are all very picky, and need constant attention. Tuning and retuning, avoiding or alternate fingering this or that note due to a suddenly manifested buzz, etc.

A carbon fiber bowlback, that really sounded like a bowl, would be way up there on my list.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

20. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Here's what's holding me back. Putting up a pretty big chunk of change a few months before delivery is due.

What happens if it doesn't materialize?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Here's what's holding me back. Putting up a pretty big chunk of change a few months before delivery is due.

You buy another mandolin?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    You buy another mandolin?
    It would be cool to have a CF mandolin that you don't have to worry about. But, if I had there wherewithal (which I don't) I'd rather have the green Sorensen one.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post

Klos has done exactly this this process with every new instrument they've developed. Most recently with their carbon fiber ukulele line. And by "recently" I mean "in the last six months."

If they've reached the Kickstarter phase, that means all their R&D and tool & die work is already done, and they're entering the marketing phase. I have no worries that, if someone pays their money now, they won't have a mandolin in their hands come April.

And if you want to hold off until summer then all it will take is a leisurely drive up to Northern Lights Music in Littleton to play before you buy. At twice today's price.

26. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    50% off to pre-order and take a chance on an unknown mandolin. No photos or sound file. Shipping in April. I wonder if there is a possibility of refund if the early buyer doesn’t like it.
    Web site says 14-day return policy.

Well crud.

I went to put my money where my mouth was and order a new carbon fiber mandolin. Turns out my Capital One card expired two months ago. Just ordered a replacement I guess I'll order my new carbon fiber mandolin in 5-7 business days.

Just received the email from Klos a few minutes ago. I’m all in.

Tom

I just ordered one, went with the carbon fiber twill front and the wide nut width. I'm hoping there's two strap buttons on it as there was no option for an extra button.