Thread: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

Default Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

The workshop schedules are now posted on the Wintergrass 2023 site (https://wintergrass.com/) and we are once again doing a Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop session. For those who have not been, Wintergrass is a fantastic annual event held all indoors at the very nice Hyatt Regency Hotel in Bellevue, Washington. A really great line up for the workshop this year with Darrell Scott on guitars and Matt Flinner on mandolin family instruments and perhaps a few other surprise guest artists joining in. This event is set for Friday, February 24th from 10:00 am to 11:30 in the Evergreen Ballroom stage at the Hyatt Regency hotel, Wintergrass headquarters. As we always try to do, we will have the room for some time after the workshop which will end by 11:15 or 11:30 so anyone who wants to look over and talk about the instruments and talk to the artists can do so. We have some very cool and rare instruments lined up for this year’s event.

This workshop has been a highlight of the Wintergrass festival (artists from past years include David Grisman, Mike Compton, Kenny Smith, Chris Eldridge, Julian Lage, Scott Nygaard, Eli West, Tim Stafford, John Reischman, Patrick Sauber, Sharon Gilchrist, Joe K. Walsh, Dale Atkins and many others) and it promises to be great fun again this year with some very cool vintage instruments in the hands of such talented artists. Please come out and support this great festival and this workshop - hoping to see many Mandolin Café folks at this event.

In addition, for the first time, Wintergrass will have a Vintage Musical Instrument Museum event on Friday and Saturday from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Westin Hotel venue which will have a stage and various Wintergrass events this year - just across the skybridge from the Hyatt. If you cannot make it to the workshop, come out to the Museum events where we will have a display of historically significant instruments available to look at, vintage instrument historians to talk to and various artists to demonstrate them. In addition to a few Gibson Lloyd Loar mandolin family instruments and some golden era Martin D-28’s and D-18’s, we will have many other interesting pieces from the mid 1800’s, through the turn of the century, as well as other golden era instruments from the 1930's–1940’s made by C.F. Martin, Gibson, Washburn, Regal and others. Please join us at Wintergrass and don’t miss these Museum and workshop events.

Thanks, as always, to Wintergrass for making it happen, to the Fretboard Journal folks for their support, and to D’Addario for sending us new strings to make the instruments sound their best.

Mark Demaray

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markd For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wintergrass 2023 Vintage Instrument Workshop and Museum

This is always such a cool event. Thanks so much for putting it together.

Can't wait
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Hey Mark... how could I find out which luthiers and merchants will have a booth at Wintergrass this year? Many thanks!

5. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

That sounds really cool, I think I should be there!

Glassweb

The list of vendors and builders should be posted soon - but I understand that this year at Wintergrass, the Builder’s Room will be at the far end of the Evergreen Hallway and these folks are signed up to be there:

Aragorn Guitars
    Bright Guitars
    Burns Violins
    Cedar Hollow Guitars
    Cedar Mountain Mandolins
    Clark Mandolins
    Irvin Guitars
    JT Custom Bass
    Northwood Guitars
    Oceana Ukes
    Pacific Rim Tonewoods

On the Grand level, these folks are signed up:

The Fiddler Mercantile
    Thompson Guitars
    Nechville Musical Products
    Eastman Guitars
    Schenk Guitars

Greg Boyd’s House of Fine Instruments will be there again in the Balsam room as in past years

There will also likely be other vendors as usual for accessories, strings and the like. Hope to see many of you there this year.

Mark
    Last edited by markd; Feb-02-2023 at 6:17pm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markd For This Useful Post:

A brief update - the Wintergrass Vintage Musical Instrument Museum event is set for Friday and Saturday from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Westin Hotel in the Lake Quinault Room in the lobby area next to the Westin concert venues. Again, it is just across the skybridge from the Hyatt and signs should be out to clearly mark the way. We have a great display of vintage instruments lined up to look at, folks to talk about them as well as various artists to demonstrate them. Please join us at Wintergrass next week - my favorite time of year......

Mark

Thanks as always to Wintergrass for hosting us for this event each year and to all of the folks who help make it happen. We always end up having more instruments than we have time to get to at in this workshop as part of the fun is to see who walks in with vintage pieces and then try to get them in. It’s hard to go more than 1 1/2 hours on stage and for the audience to sit too much longer and it takes a bit of time to set up and tear down to make sure all instruments safely returned to their owners. Fretboard Journal videoed the whole event and took lots of photos so watch for Jason Verlinde and FJ to post those soon.

A big thanks to all who showed to help make this happen again this year including Perry, Chuck, Rob, Phil and Robb, to Jim Brown and Jet City Guitars, Bill Clements and Rosewood Guitar, Joe Vinikow and archtop.com and many others - and thanks always to the Dawg David Grisman for his timeless Tone Poems recording that gave us the inspiration to try to put a bunch of vintage instruments in the hands of wonderful musicians each year and experience the joy of the music they make....

Already looking forward to next year when we will do it all again.

11. The following members say thank you to markd for this post:

This was a wonderful presentation with the instruments played by Darrell Scott and Matt Flinner. Treasured instruments played by great players. Great fun.

Thanks so much.

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I really enjoyed that showcase. I appreciated that Darrell Scott and Matt Flinner sang as well. It flowed like a duet concert as much as an instrument showcase which helped hold my attention more than just tunes. It was my favorite of the 3 or 4 I have been lucky to witness. Cool story about the July 9th Loar “Scratchy”. They are trying to crowdfund purchasing it for the festival and potentially having a loan program for young high level musicians.

"Scratchy" was recovered? Wasn't it reported stolen a few weeks ago?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

To correct the above post by Josh, sadly, John West's 1924 F-5 Lloyd Loar "Scratchy" has not yet been recovered. It was Phil Williams July 9, 1923 F-5 Loar that was on stage this last week at Wintergrass and it was that instrument the announcement was made about for an idea to start a crowdfunding effort to purchase it for the festival to potentially have a loan program for young high level musicians.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    To correct the above post by Josh, sadly, John West's 1924 F-5 Lloyd Loar "Scratchy" has not yet been recovered. It was Phil Williams July 9, 1923 F-5 Loar that was on stage this last week at Wintergrass and it was that instrument the announcement was made about for an idea to start a crowdfunding effort to purchase it for the festival to potentially have a loan program for young high level musicians.

Mark
    Phil's Loar was a really great one... had a chance to play it many, many years ago...

Sorry, thanks for the correction. I got the wires crossed of recent Loars being discussed. And yes it sounded phenomenal. Matt Flinner jokingly said. “And how young would one have to be to be eligible?”

Lord, I wish I could’ve been there but I work an aviation trade show that’s on the same weekend. Next year I may need to rebel against working vs. playing.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    This was a wonderful presentation with the instruments played by Darrell Scott and Matt Flinner. Treasured instruments played by great players. Great fun.

Thanks so much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7005.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	501.2 KB 
ID:	206384 Matt Flinner playing a re-necked F7 and Darrell Scott playing a 1937 D-18 (one of my favourites!)

Fretboard Journal posted the video today from this Wintergrass workshop. A link is here:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/vid...-jmvMhKfY8JPXI

Mark

21. The following members say thank you to markd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    Fretboard Journal posted the video today from this Wintergrass workshop. A link is here:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/vid...-jmvMhKfY8JPXI

Mark
    Wow! I encourage all in the forum family to watch - it’s truly special. Thanks to all involved.

Thanks for posting this, Mark. What an incredible performance by Darrell and Matt and nicely enhanced by your descriptions of the instruments. Wonderful. Worth everyone's time to watch this.

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Mark. What an incredible performance by Darrell and Matt and nicely enhanced by your descriptions of the instruments. Wonderful. Worth everyone's time to watch this.

Agreed
    David A. Gordon

This is great!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

It was good as any of the shows we went to. The intimacy of the room and the authenticity of the playing was unrivaled for us.

But their band performance was pretty good too

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It was good as any of the shows we went to. The intimacy of the room and the authenticity of the playing was unrivaled for us.

But their band performance was pretty good too
    Agreed.... i was disappointed though that the Darrell Scott band set was essentially the same both friday and saturday..... i'd never seen that at Wintergrass...especially by one of the big headliners.

Wow, just now checking out the video. Learning that I missed them playing Wreck of the Edmand Fitzgerald! Sounds so good… Lesson learned - don’t leave early.

And what an epic version of the Wreck it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    And what an epic version of the Wreck it is.
    For me, that was about the best thing about the whole video. That's one of my all time favorite songs.

Also, great was watching the communication between the two of them as they played.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar