Thread: NPD - Honk Honk!!!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default NPD - Honk Honk!!!

New Pick Day!

A while ago I bought a Blue Chip pick, a TAD-60. But lately I've been using Dunlop Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles. and I'm starting to think I like those better than my expensive Blue Chip.

But I ordered some new picks, and they arrived today - Golden Gate X-Stiff Large Triangle Clown Confetti, or as the internet calls them Clown Barf.

They feel really good in the hand, and glide over the strings.

I'll post again when I've had a chance to try them with several different instruments.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NPD - Honk Honk!!!

I haven't used the clown barf but I actually have been preferring the prime tone over the BC lately, inf fact I kind of forgot about my BC and found it in my octave case at a jam the other night, I am using it again but, can't beat a prime tone sometimes.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

If I'm going to a large jam, especially if it's outdoors, I take my extra stiff Clown Barf large triangles - much easier than a an unmentionable natural product, Blue Chip or ToneSlab to find if they drop, no biggie if they are loaned out and somebody doesn't return them, and they sound pretty good for the $$.

I like the sound of Golden Gate picks but they always slip out of my fingers. I prefer Wegen for that reason, and because they're still not too expense. Maybe i should try drilling a few holes through the middle of some golden gates, Wegen style.

My Blue Chip was $35, closer to $50 after engraving & shipping.

Primetones are $9.00 for 3, or $3.00 each.

The Clown Barf were $18.00 for 12, or $1.50 each, half the cost of the Primetones.

I'm on a similar pick comparison kick. Right now my Blue Chip CT55 feels the best, but I ordered some heavier Primatones and some Dunlop Stubbies to compare. I've already compared the Blue Chip against some of my old picks with the caveat that most are standard guitar pick shaped. The CT55 beat out the following:

V-Pick Tradition
    Graph-Tech Tusq
    Iron Age 3mm
    Dunlop Ultex Triangle
    2022 Eastman MD515/V
    2022 Gibson F-5G

I have been using the large triangle Primetone picks for several years. Prefer the smooth ones to the sculpted.

I haven't tried another pick since I discovered Golden Gates, although I have a boxfull.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I like the Golden Gate for practicing at home. Am more than slightly surprised at the difference in sound between one of those and a Fender 346 Extra Heavy.

For performances or band practice have fallen back to using a Blue Chip 40.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Man, these Clown Barfs are awesome. They just glide over the strings. No pick click at all.

They have a nice edge to them. I mean "edge" in a "knife" sense, not a "stand up comic who's trying to hard" sense. It feels like a table knife, beveled but not sharpened if that makes sense. That really helps the picks in their clean & tonefull attack.

Is tonefull a word? I guess it is. Now.

My Blue Chip is supposedly "speed beveled." I don't know what that's suppose to mean. I just know that I haven't touched my Primetones or my Blue Chip since I got these Golden Gates.

Does anyone know, the other non-clown-related Golden Gate picks, the white, black, ivoroid, pearloid, and tortoise, do they all have the same feel as the Clown Confetti?

I'll be sticking with my Clown Barf X-Stiff Large Triangle for the foreseeable future.

$18.00 for a bag of 12 on Amazon. Drop shipped form China, I think, so delivery takes FOR EVER (that's what 12 days feels like to a Prime subscriber). And cheaper than Primetones (although Primetones are nice, my second favorite probably, and easier to source).

Highly recommended

EDIT: Well, I just checked Amazon and the Golden Gate picks have SKYROCKETED in price. Now $27 for a bag of 12. That's puts them on par with Primetones, price wise.

Well, I play with them for the tone, not the price. Oh well.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Well, I just checked Amazon and the Golden Gate picks have SKYROCKETED in price. Now $27 for a bag of 12. That's puts them on par with Primetones, price wise.

Well, I play with them for the tone, not the price. Oh well.
    Strings by Mail has them cheaper than Amazon with reasonably fast shipping. Not the Clown Barf color though.
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/golden...ick-16087.html
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

I bought a few Golden Gate Stiff and X-Stiff clown barf picks a few months ago and I must say that I am pleased with them. I keep my Dawg picks nearby along with my Primetones and I switch around among them but the clown barf has been a pleasant surprise. Take my endorsement at face value: I’ve been playing mandolin a year-and-a-half, now.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.