Thread: Bridge / Saddle questions

Default Bridge / Saddle questions

I'm curious about the physical dynamics involved, and to a lesser degree the impacts on proper setup.

About what percent of downward pressure is coming from in front of the bridge and how much from behind?

About what direction are the combined vector forces directed, I've guessed about 7 o'clock.

Finally, should the bridge setup be perpendicular to the top or slightly lean towards Front or Back?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b copy.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	205881  

Default Re: Bridge / Saddle questions

The tension fore and aft is equal, so the downward force has a component as you surmise that bisects the angle. This is different for each instrument and setup. However, the bridge feet are set accurately perpendicular to the top, that is, uniform close contact, or the sound suffers. And, as each string, for intonation, crosses at a different location, each one exerts downforce differently. The net effect is pretty small. For reference, the total tension for a mandolin is roughly 200 lbs, so the downforce is something like the sine of the small breakover angle, potentially very little for a flat top or bowl back, and larger for other designs.
    I’m sure that all this is discussed in reference materials or elsewhere on this site.

Irrespective of anything else, the bridge is normally happier leaning slightly towards the tailpiece - but that's because the strings tend to drag it forwards when you tune up. So it helps to suppress the natural tendency of the bridge to develop a forward lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Irrespective of anything else, the bridge is normally happier leaning slightly towards the tailpiece - but that's because the strings tend to drag it forwards when you tune up. So it helps to suppress the natural tendency of the bridge to develop a forward lean.
    I set them the same way.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!