Thread: Jerry Hill Mandolins -- Anyone seen/tried/have one? Feedback?

Question Jerry Hill Mandolins -- Anyone seen/tried/have one? Feedback?

Through the guidance of a fellow MC forum member, I've been convinced to try an A style for my first mandolin. I had been looking exclusively at Fs prior. So I've got a small list of final contenders and I hope to pull the trigger early this week.

One is a Jerry Hill A model with varnish finish. Seems very nice. I like the idea that it's (I assume) made stateside by a small builder. They're closed today, so I can't call to inquire yet. They describe it as playing well. I can't find any info on the builder. Perhaps that alone should raise an eyebrow?

2. The following members say thank you to r0gue for this post:

Default Re: Jerry Hill Mandolins -- Anyone seen/tried/have one? Feedback

If it’s the shop in Texas, I’d trust what they say about the mandolin.
    Russ Jordan

4. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

I emailed Fiddler's Green about Jerry Hill mandolins a few months ago. Here's what they told me:

"Well, there isn’t too much to tell. Jerry is a local guy (great fiddle and mandolin player) that we have known for a very long time. He is currently working as a carpenter and builds mandolins “on the side, although he says he thinks that he will retire soon and start doing it more full time. He doesn’t have a website or social media but he’s a super nice guy and I’m sure would love to talk with anyone about his instruments.

We have sold several of his instruments over the years and they just keep getting better! Sorry I don’t have any pics of the previous ones. He only builds A models and doesn’t have a model distinction on them. I think we are the only folks that sell them now. He was selling through another local shop here also but they are out of business now."

Email or call Fiddler's Green and talk to them, they may give you his contact info.
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

6. The following members say thank you to Chris Fannin for this post:

I was in Fiddler's Green in August and played the Jerry Hill A they had at that time, which I think they still have. I was very impressed. I came to play the Northfields, which I had never seen in the flesh. The Northfields of all levels failed to impress me. The high end Collings at that time were great.
    I'm only a few years into the mandolin and haven't played a lot of different ones, so I'm certainly not an expert and I'm spoiled by having several Girouards and a Collings MT.
    If I was looking for a step up from a better Eastman or something, I would have been very interested in the Jerry Hill.
    I think the Jerry Hill checks a lot of boxes for you. If it's affordable to you, for the price, you will get a great first mandolin that should serve you well for many years to come.
    Take note, I've learned that one mandolin seems to lead to many mandolins!
    Call Fiddler's Green up next week and see if they will tape a demo for you.
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

I am a long time friend of Jerry Hill. Bandmate too. So, that being said, I think it would be hard to find a better mandolin in the price range. They sound great with great playability. Fantastic value.

9. The following members say thank you to twilson for this post:

I bought it! Ben was super helpful and took a great amount of time to make me comfortable with the instrument and to help me understand a few other areas of importance as I approach learning mandolin with my daughter.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0gue For This Useful Post: