Thread: Anyone play a Royall Triolian '29 wood body long scale tenor reso

Default Anyone play a Royall Triolian '29 wood body long scale tenor reso

I was asking about this tenor resonator guitar (https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...nor-resonator/) in the general mandolin forum before realizing there was a tenor guitar forum.

I would like to buy one, and am only hesitating due to the wide neck/nut and long scale. I've seen one video by forum member Bertram Henze, and some more on his YouTube channel. But can anyone give me any feedback on playing something like this one, or trying to move from a regular tenor guitar (23" scale, 1-1/4 nut) to a long and wide scale like this one? Mostly in terms of ease of chording for someone with average size hands and no special finger stretching ability!

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Anyone play a Royall Triolian '29 wood body long scale tenor

I would say it depends on how you tune it and how you play it.
    It has a 25” scale so like a standard six string but if you want to tune in 5ths, it will still be easy to play if you just stick to basic chord shapes.
    As you know GDAE offers some of the most simple and easy chord shapes of any stringed instrument but, trying to stretch for some chords will be difficult and playing fast Irish melody tunes will take practice.
    I have several six string conversions that I tune GDAE and strum basic chords as accompaniment, I even play a little single string melody but for me they are just a novelty.
    In any case you could just use a capo if it turns out a bit tricky for your style and maybe over time stretch it out to full scale.

Thank you, fox. I would be playing in Chicago tuning (DGBE), due to the type of music I play. But your answer still helps. Basically I'm getting the impression that it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to the longer scale, regardless of tuning.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Well i would not say that, for me I find 23” quite difficult to play in 5ths I am much more comfortable with 21” but, yes in DGBE it will be fine.