Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to Ireland in April

Default Re: Trip to Ireland in April

Years ago I spend a month on the Burren, ruins and holy wells in the day, musical pubs at night. It was March and there was a warm east wind blowing over County Clare, so the windows of the pub in Doolin were open, making the blue fug from peat and tobacco swirl about. Famous for its music, which went on every night, tourists or no, the old men came to play the old tunes. It was a privilege to be there.

Through the open window we saw a huge black Mercedes (from Shannon Airport) pull up and a small man in a heavy coat got out once the chauffeur had opened his door. The Chauffeur came in, exchanged words in Irish with the publican who then spoke to the old fiddle player on the stool. Money changed hands and we all got a free pint. The newcomer sat on the stool took out his penny whistle, played a set with great skill – jig, reel and slip jig I think – then left and the big car drove away. There was talk round the bar, but it was Gaelic, so the only word I picked out was “dot com millionaire.” Someone’s bucket list.

2. The following members say thank you to Boharm for this post:

All my cars are manual transmissions. I prefer them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Cork (2nd city) is worth a visit and there are regular music sessions at the Cornerhouse pub in Coburg St. Monday nights it often features old-time/bluegrass/trad sessions with some excellent mandolin players.

Funny, I was there last April and didn't like Doolin. I thought the people there were grasping and disrespectful, which happens when places have seen too many tourists I guess. Ennis, on the other hand, is more my kind of town - a proper working place with music, and friendly too.

7. The following members say thank you to ChrisK for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Funny, I was there last April and didn't like Doolin. I thought the people there were grasping and disrespectful, which happens when places have seen too many tourists I guess. Ennis, on the other hand, is more my kind of town - a proper working place with music, and friendly too.
    I thought Ennis was a grand place. Lots of music. I haven't been to Doolin, but I got the impression some of the Ennis musicians sometimes play in Doolin.
    David A. Gordon

9. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

I enjoyed it best when I stayed in Galway or Dingle. I booked a B&B with parking and stayed multiple nights and walked everywhere. Dublin is a big city. Driving on the left is tough enough but in a big city it tougher.

Well, I'd hoped to be posting some updates here from my travels. But unfortunately, covid had other plans. Got hit with a bad case of it last week which meant having to cancel the trip. This was my 40th birthday trip 4.5 years late. So what's another year? Maybe I'll just wait until I'm 50 and make it 2 weeks! LOL

Thanks again for all of the great info in this thread. Will definitely be putting it to good use when I do finally make it to Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Well, I'd hoped to be posting some updates here from my travels. But unfortunately, covid had other plans. Got hit with a bad case of it last week which meant having to cancel the trip. This was my 40th birthday trip 4.5 years late. So what's another year? Maybe I'll just wait until I'm 50 and make it 2 weeks! LOL

Thanks again for all of the great info in this thread. Will definitely be putting it to good use when I do finally make it to Ireland!
    Too bad. Sorry that happened. You would have been so looking forward to it.
    David A. Gordon

Sorry to hear about the trip having to be cancelled! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Sorry to hear that. Oh well, Ireland will still be there when you recover. I hope you heal quickly.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.