Thread: Anyone played a Yair Sterns '2021' octave mando?

Default Anyone played a Yair Sterns '2021' octave mando?

It's his model with no sound hole, only the very decorative cutouts on the sides of the top. It's down a bit on this page ...

https://www.ystern.ca/services

It looks beautiful and sounds great on YT, for what that's worth. I texted to ask about shipping costs. May pull the trigger if my local guy can't get an MDO-605 in.

I ran a search here and found a little info on some of his instruments. But some threads weren't clear on which model. The one with the intricate cut-outs/sound holes on the edge ofvthe top is the model we like.
    Last edited by Snakum; Feb-07-2023 at 10:42pm.

Doesn't practice enough

Default Re: Anyone played a Yair Sterns '2021' octave mando?

I briefly owned a 2022, still showing on the "available for sale" page. The scale is very short, so I returned it within his 14-day period. I can't remember the exact amount but shipping was under $100. I found the sound well represented in the videos. Very rich, great as a solo instrument. It was fairly quiet.

I also owned an Eastman 305 prior to the Stern. I expect the sound of the 605 will be +/- identical, given it has the same small thin body. They were very different sounding and playing.

What kind of sound are you looking for? That's probably the best place to start.

Looking for something similar to Sarah Jarosz' F. Brock octave ... but without the $6k price tag.

I saw two versions of '2022' ... did yours have the sound hole with the intricate cutouts or just the soundhole? Hazard a guess what kind of tone and volume the '21 model with just cut-outs might have?

My sorta local guy has ordered an MDO-605 that I may get a chance at if it actually gets in. He said he s having supply issues. So I'm also wondering what the tone and volume might be like compared to that one, too. I have no way to play either one, of course.

Doesn't practice enough

That helps. If you're looking for the sound of a guitar-bodied OM, get one - the Eastman will not give you that sound, nor will a Weber. They are bluegrass-oriented, pure tone that cuts through. The Stern will be closer.

Mine was the single-hole model. The clips of the "21" do sound a bit different, but the overall character is similar.

I was similarly motivated...not by SJ but by Lincoln Mick (The Arcadian Wild) who plays a Northfield. I ended up with a KR Strings Octolindo F off the classifieds, and I'm very happy with it. It got me 95% of the way there for about 40% of the price. I've seen the more basic models go under $2k on Reverb - that would be my recommendation.