Thread: H5 Mandola

Default H5 Mandola

Any suggestions on a case for a H5 Mandola that I’m building.I don’t want to spend more than a few hundred. Thanks.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: H5 Mandola

Nothing turns up from Saga, Music link [Recording King], or TKL. You could try Eastman, they list an F mandola with hard case on their website.
    If not, you may have to build your own.
    Make a box, cut an insert that's shaped like a mandola, add cushioning material, fabric lining, and cover or paint the outside.

Weber makes an H-5 style mandola and has a case for it but apparently the cases are not easily found on the market by themselves. Elderly was looking into getting one for me a while back but I ended up finding a Calton. There are not that many options out there.

Mark

When I bought mine I made sure it came with a case. I've only seen one pop up over the years (I'm sure there have been more) and it was mislabeled as an F5 case. They are tough to find unless you have one made.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I saw that crossrock seems to be working on a dola case, I hope it comes out soon!
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Teacher, repair person

The Weber brand has been inactive for quite some time. The name was purchased from Two Old Hippies several months ago by Ryan and Michelle Fish, but as far as I know, they have not started production yet. It appears that the Weber website has not been updated since April 2021, except perhaps for listing Mr. Fish's contact information and identifying him as their featured luthier. They do not currently list any dealers on their website.

Right now, Eastman is the best bet that I know of without having one custom built. I don't know whether would deal with you directly, or ask you to go through one of their dealers.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-09-2023 at 2:14am.

Glenn Kronkhite makes some fabulous and very protective bags. They’re well worth checking out.
    https://glenncronkhite.com/product/mandolin
    Steve

Cedar Creek will make one for you. Not super-cheap, but not terrible. I asked them to quote one for my H-2 mandola a couple years ago. They said $600. Which might be worth it for a 106-year-old instrument in good shape. (I didn't act on it.)

Check with Presto cases that Paul Duff uses. Also you might want to pay attention to the scale length of the mandola. It could be 15 7/8" or 17" scale lengths. Here's my 2002 Duff H-5 with 15 7/8"scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duff Front in Presto.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	572.7 KB 
ID:	206012

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL