Thread: Buzzing While Fretting with Pinky

Post Buzzing While Fretting with Pinky

I love my Gold Tone OM-800+ octave mandolin, but I notice that the strings often buzz, especially the thicker ones, when I fret with my pinky. I'm not weak by any means but do I just need to develop more pinky strength? Or maybe different strings?

On my regular mandolin, it's way easier to fret, even with my pinky.

Any insight, especially from anyone who owns the Gold Tone octave, would be appreciated!

Default Re: Buzzing While Fretting with Pinky

I don't own a Gold Tone octave but it is just matter of developing the right pressure with the pinky, and I still don't hit it right all the time.
    I try to use other fingers where possible, but when the pinky is the practical choice, it does take more focus for me to fret it cleanly.

you could try lighter strings.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Doesn't practice enough

Does that string/fret sound clean when you use a different finger? If so, yeah...keep working at it! You could try lighter strings, but that comes with its own set of compromises.

Blog Entries

If the issue is just pinky pressure, I find I can press harder if I deploy the index finger on the fret below. Closer to home, shorter supply lines, something like that.

If the issue is that you are playing the octave mandolin style, it might you are getting used to the increased distance between frets. my idea above still applies, but at least there is an explanation.

If the fret distance is more extreme, perhaps you need to finger the octave as you might a guitar, one fret one finger, and shift up as needed. I have tried that with some success, though I find it difficult.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Tempo is another factor as are muscle fatigue and player experience. Neck width, action height, fret height and string weight (as you say), and also string tension are other factors as well as position up the fretboard and curvature of the neck. Morphology, muscle size etc. is sometimes difficult to modify but practice will help.

(Some say that a full moon is also a factor, but it’s probably better to work on the ones that are tried and tested first).
    Last edited by Simon DS; Feb-10-2023 at 4:11pm.

string buzzing on octave mandolins is a feature, not a bug. adds grist and dirt to the tone. but you should be able to control it. normally there would be no buzzing anywhere on the E and A strings (all the way high up the neck the neck). you should be able to "buzz" the G and D strings open (0023 G chord) and on 2nd fret (2200 A5 chord), further up the neck (i.e. 44xx Bm chord) usually you want no buzzing.

if you get buzzing from your pinky, try fretting same note using a different finger (you will have to move your hand).

it is possible that your pinky is not strong enough and you do not push the string all the way into the fret (get the rubber squeeze thing, flip pencil, etc)
    it is possible that you try to reach too far and your pinky "does not quite get there" (move the hand)
    it is possible that you have too-light strings or too-low action (easy on the fretting hand at the cost of more buzzing. do not dig in with your pick as much)

check how Pete Marshall from mandomafia works an octave mandolin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0y5GnVdWfk
    and how Mike Marshall works the "next size bigger" CGDA mandocello: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQLJv9b8kQ

Thank you all so much for the responses and insights. I notice that I can fret cleaner with other fingers, and it happens on the lower strings more than the higher ones. So I guess I need to develop some pinky strength! However, there is a slight buzz on the lower strings (lower frets) when I let up with a finger. Is that normal for OMs? Wondering especially since Mandocello said the buzzing can be a feature of the OM.

On another note, I've discovered that I can actually cover all the way down to the fifth fret with my hand (ring finger governs fourth and fifth) before I have to use my pinky. Is that a good approach or should I be using my pinky sooner? I have pretty long fingers.
    Last edited by Hexvaldr; Feb-10-2023 at 10:06pm.

I suspect it's more an issue of technique than strength.

I don't play octave mandolin, but on the instruments I do play I initially had trouble getting clean notes with my pinky finger. Now they are pretty clean.

Thinking back, when I started I'd tend to place that finger very flat on the string. This means the point of pressure is further away from the fret. Either the string buzzes or, if the finger is slid towards the fret, the tip mutes the string. Nowadays I curve the finger more, so the pressure comes from the fingertip. This needs a small change in hand position, with the whole hand a fraction higher above the fretboard.

I think I might have practised this consciously, but it would probably have come just from more practice anyway.

9. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

If you want to attempt double stops on the G and D strings (together) with your flattened pinky then it's probably better to reinforce it with the ring finger. Or of course just use your ring finger after a hand shift.

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Just wanted to say thanks again to those who chimed in on this thread. My technique and pinky strength are improving, and the buzzing is lessening due to it!
    Eastman 505CC Mandolin
    Gold Tone OM-800+ Octave Mandolin
    Saxon/Germanic Lyre

13. The following members say thank you to Hexvaldr for this post: