Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cozart Tenor Telecaster

Default Re: Cozart Tenor Telecaster

Good luck with that Verne. They are nice looking guitars and seem very versatile sonically with three pickups. I like the blend knob for the neck and middle pickup.

I don't know if you read this: https://www.vintageguitar.com/39972/rickenbacker-325/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RICKENBACKER_325_03_JohnLennon.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	212038

Hope you find a nice one!

2. The following members say thank you to Denko for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denko View Post
    neilca, subby13 & strandbj: I'm wondering how you are getting along with your Cozarts?

I have a red one and yes the fret ends are sharp, but overall it is very nice. The stock strings are nearly useless. I tuned it GDAE and it is very light around 50 lbs. of tension. CGDA was way too tight for me. I tend to use it unplugged and again, I really enjoy it. Neck to body ratio is appropriate and I like the full size body on these. (Thanks Verne you taught me a new word - untoward.)

A couple of things of note:

It is a 22" scale instrument not 23".

Matthew (mreidsma), At first I was somewhat excited as I thought, like you, about pickguard replacements. The neck and bridge on the Cozart are narrower than a six string and the single coil neck pickup is 4 pole versus 6. So an Esquire pickguard would work if you cutout the smaller pickup hole, but the neck and bridge cutouts will be wider on a standard Tele pickguard.

fox, your recommendation made me search for electric tenor sets and I discovered that GHS has a line of strings for electric tenors in both CGDA & GDAE.

I do not like the saddles having adjustment screw that are so long. I have a replacement bridge to install and will share once I get around to putting it on.

Name:	s-l960.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	211945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	211944

Again, overall I like the guitar, and for the price I don't mind putting a few dollars into it. I do notice the 22" vs 23" scale length difference - faster, less stretch. For $200 and free shipping in the US (I believe I read elsewhere $300 to Europe), it is hard to beat.

Thanks for everyone's posts!
    I haven't been playing mine much lately, I have been working on other projects. I did pick it up today and played it in CGDA. If I get a chance, I may try the Chicago tuning since I find myself playing more six string guitars lately.

4. The following members say thank you to neilca for this post:

Denko 

As there were questions about size, here is a side-by-side comparison of the Fender Tenor Tele & the Cozart.

Name:	311882162_2907685626191967_4253835695363419344_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	212235

Photo and review posted by luthier Benjamin Foss on the Facebook Tenor Tele Owners page - 10/15/2022.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...82499062568848

"My Cozart clone of the tenor tele arrived yesterday and finally got them together for a side by side comparison. For $160 this is a ridiculous value.

The Cozart is built on a slightly larger body and has a full sized tele headstock. Itís light weight, clearly made of some very inexpensive wood. Maybe basswood.

The good:
    The electronics are impressive for the price. The pickups seem to be purpose built and the shielding is as good or better than the fender. I havenít taken it apart yet to asses components further but itís more than adequate.

The neck profile is very useable. Slightly wider than the fender but no awful taper like the Eastwood equivalent.

The setup on mine was very usable out of the box. No sharp fret ends and the intonation was close to perfect.

The tuners and other hardware are totally fine.

The not so good:
    The second string is louder than all of the others, and the bass end is somewhat weak. This is probably mostly a result of the terrible factory strings. The gauges are .011, .015, .025 and .038. Too heavy for CGDA, not useable for Chicago, and too light for GDAE so I have no idea what the intended tuning is out of the box. I tuned mine AEBF# to start because thatís where the tension felt right.

The frets are ridiculously oversized heavy metal jumbo frets.

The 10th fret marker is at the 9th fret, but to be fair Fender failed embarrassingly at that too.

The scale length is only 22Ē which is a bit silly, especially on the larger body.
    Mine came with a large chip out of the back edge on the lower bout, but no damage on the box.

Iím very excited to be able to use this guitar as a platform for experimentation and mods without messing with my tenor tele. Itís totally usable as is and could be dialed in to be just as good a performer. Thereís space for a bigsby or any number of other fun projects. I would rank this guitar above the Eastwood telecaster which looses major points for being so poorly proportioned and having a terrible neck profile and taper. Itís clearly not as well built or nice feeling as the fender, but for 1/8th the current market price itís a compelling option for a second instrument or first electric."

Two videos as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/5801...2499062568848/

6. The following members say thank you to Denko for this post:

I have a Cozart 8-string emando and it is a solid little instrument, although the stock nut needed a replacement. After reading this thread and listening to a lot of tenor guitar videos, I figured I'd take a chance and just ordered one of the white ones. I own a regular tele but rarely play it (as I've become a 5ths supremacist), so this will be another fun thing to have around, especially since I started out the night by looking at electric mandolas.

How are the pickups? Anybody done an upgrade?

Somehow, this guitar arrived in under one week. For $190 I am beyond impressed. I was already familiar with the brand from their eMando, but I feel like the quality of this is much better. Looks great.

Name:	Picsart_24-02-26_13-55-48-111.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	212337

Size is comparable to a regular telecaster. Some pictures of these make the necks look comically small, but side by side with a standard tele there's really not a lot of difference minus it being just a bit shorter and skinnier.

Name:	Picsart_24-02-26_14-59-17-645.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	212336

There is seriously nothing about this that needs work. The frets aren't even sharp. I took it out of the box, tuned it up to CGDA, and everything just felt great. All three pickup positions sound like they should, the tone pot works like it should - it's exactly what you'd expect from a telecaster, but a tenor.

I'll record a proper sound demo at some point, but this is just a little quickie through the phone microphone, dry, with my phone balanced on top of an amp. First time I have ever touched a tenor guitar and I can say I am now thoroughly converted.

Stays in tune, everything is straight, action feels good. They even included a gig bag and an extra TS cable.

The single thing I dislike is that it uses the same plastic kind of nut that my Cozart eMando came with (which broke a week into using it), but that's an easy fix. Plus, I think that eight small mando strings are going to put a lot more tension on this kind of material than four guitar strings, so I'm not super worried about it. Given the price, I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

(well, maybe it would be nice to have that ninth fret marker on the tenth fret, but otherwise, it's great.)
    Eastwood Newport Tenor, Eastwood Airline Mandola
    Cozart Electric Tenor, Cozart Electric Mando
    Hora Octave, Seagull S8
    ...and maybe some other stuff...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dylandekk For This Useful Post:

Denkofox 

Quick multitracked sound demo here. This is just the Cozart and a simple drum track, along with a few different pedals and amp sims.

Hora Octave, Seagull S8

11. The following members say thank you to dylandekk for this post:

I have no use for one of these, but I really want one..........
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

13. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I have no use for one of these, but I really want one..........
    I feel like that's enough of a reason to grab two at least.

I recorded another little tune with the Cozart tonight, this time in fingerstyle instead of using a pick. I think buying this thing helped kick me out of a creative rut and I'm really grateful for it.
    Hora Octave, Seagull S8

15. The following members say thank you to dylandekk for this post:

Denko 

Alright, last sound test for now. This one is not multitracked, and is instead just a raw-ish simple jam into some chorus and delay. Big fan of this guitar if you can't tell already.

Hora Octave, Seagull S8