Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick spin

Default Re: Pick spin

"if you never drop your pick, you are holding it too tight. relax more"

2. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Try a Dunlop Primetone pick. They are available in a variety of shapes and thicknesses, come with grips molded in on both surfaces, have a nice clear tone (for me anyway) and they are cheap compared to BC, Red Bear, casein, etc. I use the 1.5mm Sculpted Plectra in a rounded triangular shape with a RH bevel.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dun...mm-3-pack.html

Speaking of which, do you have a bevel on the tip of your pick and does it go in the correct handedness? I find the right handed bevel works best for me (I'm right handed The bevel can really help the pick slip off the strings (less resistance = less pick spin) than wrong handedness or a neutral bevel. IMO.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Mar-31-2023 at 11:36am.

A more expensive option to try is Toneslabs picks. Bluechips are my favorites, as they hit the sweet spot for me for grippiness and glide through the strings, but I bought a couple of TS to try out. They are significantly grippier than any other pick I’ve tried (I’ve used/use pretty much all the pick suggestions you’ve gotten above through the years). The only downside for me is they’re also a little grippier through the strings. I suspect if I played with them all the time I’d adapt and it wouldn’t bother me, and their tone is very good. But, they’re $40 a pick…

Lots of much cheaper and functional suggestions above!
    Chuck

I think I have a solution! I curl my index finger a little more and brace up the pick against the crease the skin makes. Make sense? It’s taken a little practice, but I can pick more aggressively now. Thanks for all the wonderful tips!

I take a small nail or screw, and use it like a punch. With a hammer, I don't punch through the pick. It makes pimples on the opposite side. I punch 5 or 6 of these pimples into the pick. I prefer Fender medium picks. In this regard I'm not too picky, but they do tend to spin in my fingers. Some more than others. Quickest. Simplest. Doesn't require buying something else.

Hello All - I’m looking for some advice on this topic as well. I have 1.5 dunlop primetones and have watched several videos on proper grip to no avail. I don’t really run into the issue unless I’m attempting to chop with speed. Instead of sliding left to right, I’m finding that the pick is actually moving backward as I strum to where the outside at the first knuckle of my middle finger is scraping the strings. Any advice on how to correct this problem? I’m assuming its technique given the reviews I’ve seen on dunlops in terms of grip. Thanks in advance!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

In hot weather, when the pick grip becomes too slippery, I apply rosin powder (I think baseball players use it, too) and the pick stays put. In all other circumstances, my fingers have learned to readjust pick position while playing.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230405_100021059_HDR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	206964
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Thanks for all the posts.

Honestly since I began playing guitar and mandolin circa 1970, I've never had this problem.

Just a thought...there used to be picks with a cork circle on them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cork...&bih=917&dpr=2

https://www.steveclayton.com/corkgrip.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full_cork.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	206965

Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.