Thread: 1937 Gibson F-7 Owned And Used By Ry Cooder

Default 1937 Gibson F-7 Owned And Used By Ry Cooder

Wow, this mandolin caught my attention, I first noticed the mandolin playing by Ry from his earliest recordings plus his playing on the Rolling Stones (Love in Vain) record as well as other guest spots. I was smitten with the instrument and eventually immersed myself in the mandolin obsessed world (a good thing!). I really like the how the pickguard was patched to correct for a previous pickup notch. This one doesn't meet my budget abilities but a guy can dream.

1937 Gibson F-7 Owned And Used By Ry Cooder: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/200164#200164
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Registered User Sir Guy of Gibson's Avatar

Default Re: 1937 Gibson F-7 Owned And Used By Ry Cooder

I'm not sure it was within my budget capabilities either, but look what just landed on my doorstep! Initial impressions are that it's simply gorgeous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAFB16AA-B3A3-42BE-9AB8-2627A7B66761.jpeg 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	206366
    2016 Gibson Sam Bush F5
    1937 Gibson F-7
    1920 Gibson F4
    1919 Gibson H1 with virzi
    1959 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    1956 Gibson LG1
    1925 Gibson TB-1 trapdoor b**jo
    Some other stuff made by National, Randy Wood and other cool people.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sir Guy of Gibson For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, sir! Or rather, Sir! I am befuddled as to how the original notice slipped under my notice - and apparently, that of many others. It's quite unusual for a thread started concerning such a nice instrument to get absolutely no responses. Typically, discussions regarding this or that detail of the mandolin mentioned or its overall appearance and/or history and/or any other related matter ensue.

Not this time: its appearance, its disappearance (or reappearance) is all we get. So there's no way of knowing what was its offered price and purchase price. I am quite curious to learn these facts, and would appreciate your indulgence in divulging the same - either publicly, so that all interested may know, or privately by PM, if you prefer. Thank you, and again, congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy life with your fine new friend.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

It looks wonderful- and with a superb case to match! Well done on a fabulous acquisition.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

And how does it sound? Post a video, please.
    Olaf

Congratulations Sir Guy!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Very nice score! I loves the 7's and have had many, even a 37. My main mando for 20 years was a converted 39. Enjoy!

Thanks everybody for your congratulations.
    Sometimes you just have to hit the 'buy it now' button, right?

I'd never even played an F7 before, but I'm already loving having something that begs to be played a bit differently to a straight F5 or F4.

I'll do some sound clips in due course, but briefly, this old girl is crisp, and harmonically rich - dripping with mojo and is setup to play like butter Thanks to the guys at Retrofret and of course, to Mr Cooder for deciding to move it along.
    2016 Gibson Sam Bush F5
    1937 Gibson F-7
    1920 Gibson F4
    1956 Gibson LG1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Guy of Gibson For This Useful Post:

Cool beans, enjoy!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I've created some audio clips using a half-decent mic. Not quite back-to-back comparisons, but to give an idea what it's like against 'benchmark' F5 and F4 instruments. Sadly, it seems you can't directly upload sound clips to the forum, so for now I'll just describe what I noticed. I've also had the chance to take it to a couple of sessions.

- You can immediately hear the F7 is essentially tight, like an F5, not open and boxy like an F4.

- The recordings dont show a noticeable drop in volume over the F5, but for sure, the F7 is no banjo killer. Having said that, it's held up pretty well in the sessions I've taken it to. One or two people even commented how loud it was. The F4 would probably just get lost in the mix.

- now this might sound strange but there is something very 'classic Gibson' about how the notes hold and even 'blossom' (as folks used to say about 59 Les Pauls). Something that's not just about F5 volume or cavernous F4 echo. There is a unique 'zing' going on here, harmonically rich, balanced and with a natural compression. Very musical.

- so it is very well suited to song accompaniment, small groups or particularly solo Vivaldi/Bach where you appreciate the single note clarity and the resonance of any bass notes / chords left ringing. I can understand why people want to rip the old necks off in search of an extra ounce of volume, but to be honest, it's a shame to do so. These things are special just as they are.

Apparently not all F7s were great, but this appears to be a good one! I'd welcome the thoughts of other F7 owners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDC6A183-CA10-465D-8712-F765A0E35D04.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	746.2 KB 
ID:	206550
    2016 Gibson Sam Bush F5
    1937 Gibson F-7
    1920 Gibson F4
    1956 Gibson LG1

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sir Guy of Gibson For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Thanks for being so eloquent about the F-7. I understand very well what you mean. Once you have experienced this level of musicality in an instrument it is difficult to go back.

Enjoy it in good health.
    Olaf