Thread: Bouzouki bridge replacement?

Default Bouzouki bridge replacement?

I have an early Trinity College Bouzouki that uses octave strings. Anyone have an idea of someone who makes new bridges for these? I rather like the instrument and I think a new bridge would enhance it's tone a bit. I don't mind sending the old bridge as a template if there is someone who specializes in these. I am in the States (Texas).
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Default Re: Bouzouki bridge replacement?

Anyone have any ideas?
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

I don't have such a source, and I have both a TC high-end octave and a TC high-end mandola. Both of them would be even better with a different bridge, lower, better intonated.

You post reminded me that I started experimenting with Red Henry.-style DIY bridges on mandolin to eventually tackle both these instruments' bridges, and also a MK F-body octave. I still have them all pending, so hopefully your post will kick this into gear.

The bone-topped nuts on the TC instruments, along with the arched top (requiring individualized fitting / finishing), just paralyzed me against starting any of them, especially since I have other options, so I appreciate the virtual kick in the pants!

If you don't find any ready-made bridge options which fit the bill for you, I recommend you look up "red henry mandolin bridge" on Google and do some reading. It might be an option which appeals to you.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Tmcmakin View Post
    I have an early Trinity College Bouzouki that uses octave strings. Anyone have an idea of someone who makes new bridges for these? I rather like the instrument and I think a new bridge would enhance it's tone a bit. I don't mind sending the old bridge as a template if there is someone who specializes in these. I am in the States (Texas).
    Maybe Verne Brekke can help you.
    https://bridgerproducts.com/home
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

I had Verne Brekke make an adjustable bridge for my TC bouzouki and also for the zouk I made and currently use.
    Both have worked well. They sound good and eliminated the need for shimming the fixed bridge in the winter.
    Bob Schmidt