Thread: How to set a time limit on the drum machine?

Default How to set a time limit on the drum machine?

I'm using https://www.musicca.com/drum-machine...-tmp.90-s.0%22

And I want to record my mandolin playing of Wheels to the drum beat; but I need to know how to automatically turn off the drum beats/machine at the end of my tune.

Does anyone know how to do that with musicca.com drum machine?

Any help greatly appreciated, and I will answer your post.

Default Re: How to set a time limit on the drum machine?

I found out that you can start or stop the Musicca drum machine by pressing the space bar on my computer. But this will require me to have another person do this while I'm playing Wheels. I still don't know how to set a time limit for the drum machine, which would be much better.

I don't have a clue but that looks like fun thing to try. Hey, are you recording tracks? If so, just record the drum machine and edit out the excess at the end.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don't have a clue but that looks like fun thing to try. Hey, are you recording tracks? If so, just record the drum machine and edit out the excess at the end.
    Hi Jim! That's a good suggestion, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I know how to trim, but the way I've been doing it is like this:

I do a selfie of my tune, and the video shows me reaching out to turn on the phone camera. Then I sit still for a few seconds, and begin playing the music. After I finish playing the tune, I sit still again for a few seconds, and then reach and turn off the camera.

I know how to trim the video, cutting out me turning on and off the camera, but the drum machine would be playing the whole time at the end while I sit there, don't you see?

Do you see any way around that problem at the end?
    Last edited by stringalong; Feb-13-2023 at 9:43pm. Reason: mistype and adding a few things

Oh, I thought you were recording on a DAW or multi-track recorder not on a phone. You want to record a video not just audio?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have no idea about your specific drum machine but it looks like a lot of fun. Is it possible to programme it to play on a specified number of bars then stop? A long time back I used Band-in-a-Box software to create backing tracks and that allowed the player to create backing tracks of a specific number of bars, and even have intro and outro bars as part of the arrangement. Perhaps not available on an app?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Oh, I thought you were recording on a DAW or multi-track recorder not on a phone. You want to record a video not just audio?
    That's right, Jim. I'm making videos with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    I have no idea about your specific drum machine but it looks like a lot of fun. Is it possible to programme it to play on a specified number of bars then stop? A long time back I used Band-in-a-Box software to create backing tracks and that allowed the player to create backing tracks of a specific number of bars, and even have intro and outro bars as part of the arrangement. Perhaps not available on an app?
    Thanks, John, for telling me about Band in a Box. It costs nearly $100 and I don't want to spend all that money for my YouTube project. If I have to get a second person to turn off Musicca drum machine, that is what I will do.

9. The following members say thank you to stringalong for this post:

Set your keyboard on the floor and tap the space bar with your foot?

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    Set your keyboard on the floor and tap the space bar with your foot?
    Hi NDO! That is a really good idea! But unfortunately it won't do in my small living room because the keyboard is wired in, and I record in another part of the room. I will think it over carefully and see if there is any way to do that.

Stringalong

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’m not familiar with that site/software, but I did use strummachine.com for two years, and it was more programmable to reparations sections, end, etc. I’m not sure whether it has a drum track, though, mostly guitar backup, but I haven’t used it in years.

More recently, I’ve used ChordPulse which has drums, bass and strings. It’s a small program you use on your computer, very programmable, with both a free and paid version. You can export to midi, wav, etc. if you wish, or just play your tracks with their built in player.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thank you, Mark, for the strum machine link. I have contacted them to see if they have a drum machine. I might subscribe to them sometime anyway, because it's only $5 a month or $49 a year, and they don't require a credit card for a two week free trial. It looks really good.

Strum Machine really is a great tool, with a lot of fun options, but I don’t see how it will help here.

Take a look at Spire, a free multi-track app. (At least it was free….). It will mention The Spire Studio, which is hardware and not cheap. But you don’t need it if you are using iOS. You will record your drum track, whatever duration you want, then record up to seven more tracks on top of it.

Worth checking out.
    -Mike

Thank you, Mike. I have subscribed to the free Spire. I'm writing to my computer guru to see if it's safe to download them.

Jim mentioned multi-track DAW earlier, it’s a great way to go, I didn’t mention it because she wants a one-shot video solution. There are probably dozens of options for backing tracks, here’s what I like about ChordPulse:

One-time $29 licensing fee for all bells & whistles
    Free version pretty robust
    Quite a few built-in music styles with paid version
    Some neat programming options
    Several instruments (including drums)
    Ability to isolate instruments or pan each up or down at will
    I can export midi in channels for each instrument for use in my DAW

Basically, the program will do on my computer everything I used to do at strummachine and more

- YouTube Stuff

Thanks, Mark,

I wrote an email to Chord Pulse asking them my questions. Thank you for the suggestion!

Stringalong

Hi everyone,

I just got an email from Musicca -- here is what they say:

Thank you for contacting me. At the moment what you're asking for is unfortunately not possible.

However, I'm currently working on an interactive chord player that not only can play drums but also chords on piano, guitar and bass guitar along with the drums. In this chord player you will most likely have the option to define the length yourself. I expect it to be ready within a months time.

All the best,
    Lasse

That’s great news, since you already know you enjoy using that app

- YouTube Stuff

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing back. Yes, I really like Musicca. It's so easy to make cool drum tracks.

A month isn't that long, and it gives me plenty of time to work on Wheels.

Marian