Thread: End of the Line, Travelling Wilbury’s

Default End of the Line, Travelling Wilbury’s

Up to now, I’ve only been playing Irish Trad on a very beginner level. So no chords in my repertoire yet, but I’m willing to learn a few.
    Yesterday, got together with some old friends who aren’t trad players and they started playing “ End of the Line”. A great song and tune. Anyone have a chord progression, tab, strum pattern ? I know it’s probably not difficult but it is completely foreign to me. Next time we get together I’d like to give it a try. As This was my first experience playing with others I need to get a lot of practice before next time — probably in about a month

3. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Kenny 

Default Re: End of the Line, Travelling Wilbury’s

As jefflester advised, you can find chords for just about any song by just googling the name of the song and “chords”. I found it worthwhile to download the Ultimate Guitar app and paid for a subscription so I can print chord sheets without ads.
    One tip if you come up with a chord sheet for guitar and it says to capo or use an alternate tuning and you want to quickly transpose to un-capoed for the mandolin… just switch the instrument to piano on the app and you’ll get the correct chords. (If you have a paid subscription you can also just transpose down the number of steps it showed for capo).

Quote Originally Posted by NDO View Post
    I found it worthwhile to download the Ultimate Guitar app and paid for a subscription so I can print chord sheets without ads.
    One of my weekly jams is with a handful of fun, mostly beginner guitar players. They don't play songs from memory like the bluegrass and old time jams/song circles I also have attended for many years.

So they like to use a songbook made up of a bunch of those Ultimate Guitar print outs. I dislike how they are often erroneous, allow page breaks in random places that don't make sense and have a page-wasting layout with too much random white space.

I can put together most song sheets (lyrics with chords) in a column format that allows the whole song on a single page - I don't see why Ultimate Guitar can't.

When starting to play with other folks, I drilled myself in the keys of A, C, D, G, using 3 finger moveable shape for root, 4th and 5th chords in each key. That was step one in playing with others. Then when someone slapped a capo on it was a puzzler.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

I practice mental transposition all the time. Invariably someone wants to capo up to a horn key. It helps being able to move my four finger closed form chords all over the fretboard. Easy enough to play chords.

Attempting to bust out a solo, however, without knowing the scale of the key you're in or not using the FFCP method can lead to humorous unmusical outcomes.

I have never been a fan of this fellas videos. No disrespect and I am sure they are fun for beginning mandolinist, but playing open chords along the guitars is a rough way of playing with others. His instructional videos play the mandolin as if it were a ukulele in my opinion. If you were playing this tune with others playing guitars, it wouldn't sound very good dropping open chord strums over their rhythm. That is rarely the purpose of a mandolin in a musical piece.

I've played this tune with others on several occasions and a good place for the mandolin that I have found is doing the opening riff, doing the turnaround at the end of the chorus and then just chopping the chords through the rest of the song to create a percussive element (especially if you are playing in a jam setting without drums). I have always played this in the key of D (1, 5, 4 in Nashville numbering) and the turnaround is a simple one to pick out by ear. Good luck, it's a fun tune, especially if you have multiple singers in the jam that can do the different vocals.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

As Mandobart says, watch out for errors in online chord sheets. It's almost like you have to know the song already so you can spot errors and not get thrown by them. I don't get it - it's as if some people post this stuff without playing the song or checking their "work."

Also, as he says, mental transposition to contend with capos is a must. You'll probably have to do some deduction until you get used to it - "OK, capo on second fret ... he's playing a G chord, so that's an A ..." That sort of thing. But once you've got the key, you can sort out the progression if you know it - 1-4-5 is the same in every key, etc.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

If your goal is as you stated - playing along with a specific group at a jam - you might check with one of those attendees to see what key they play it in, that would help in your stated goal of boning up to play with them. Wilburys played it in D and it’s a pretty easy song, I love and play much of their repertoire. With Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison you can’t go wrong, they were awesome together. Check out their song Poor House​ … I’ve turned a number of Bluegrassers on to that song, they love it at jams.

https://youtu.be/rgtx7FAILVI

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post: