Thread: Progressing a Learning Session Into a "Regular" Session

Default Progressing a Learning Session Into a "Regular" Session

I started my Sacramento CA learning session a few years ago, and I've chosen to focus on fewer tunes, moving slowly, rather than jumping around in order to help beginners and early intermediate players progress solidly through some well-known standards.

I've already chimed in on this forum, and many have helped, and I've used the resources provided by everyone here to guide that sessions development. We have since been offered a spot in a local music store where we have anywhere between 9-13 attendees at any given day. We have a core group of around 8-10 people who practice regularly.

I have been surprised by how quickly others have picked up tunes and progressed their pace with them. I know people have various learning priorities, and practicing this groups tunes may not always be at the top of someone's list.

But with the number of fairly dedicated musicians in our group, I think we may be ready to take a few of our regulars to a regular session and/or start our own "normal" session at a cafe or pub soon, provided we can find a locale that would welcome us.

I am wondering what the process typically looks like, and what the typical considerations are before making this step? I am of the character to jump in and catch up, rather than to overprepare, but I want to get a sense of prudent considerations from experts before jumping.

Thanks!

2. The following members say thank you to PhillipeTaylor for this post:

Default Re: Progressing a Learning Session Into a "Regular" Session

Not quite the same thing, but in the DC area at folk/swing/couple dancing events, are are often beginner sessions prior to the main event. That would have the benefit of having just one location.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

If you find a cafe or pub be sure they have ASCAP/BMI licensing. I have attended two regular sessions that got shut down when ASCAP approached the owners and they could not afford the licensing fees. This was in the rural Midwest and I would expect California to see closer policing. Other wise it needs to be a private, not for profit venue. Church religious services and county agricultural fairs are exempt in the law so you can usually play at churches and not get stopped.
    Last edited by CarlM; Feb-15-2023 at 3:40pm.

"I have attended two regular sessions that got shut down when ASCAP approached the owners and they could not afford the licensing fees."

A possible alternative is the venue can be explicit about only original or public domain material is to be played. There's a long-standing bar/club here that has a big sign onstage stating that. Lots of oldtime tunes and songs are public domain.

Z
    Member since 2003!

Thanks for the advice. I don’t think we run into those difficulties here. Sessions happen fairly regularly, and that isn’t a discussion I have ever heard of, nor have I heard of anyone being shut down in my area for that reason. Thanks, though! I’ll be sure to remain sensitive to the business owner’s needs and concerns!

Registered User Mandolin Deep Cuts's Avatar

I’d be curious to know how and why your session is different from a “normal” session. At this point, it sounds like you have a number of proficient players that have the tunes memorized.
    Mandolins: Labraid Grand Concert Jazz, Collings MF, Mowry Octave Mandolin
    Violins: Stratton Electric Violin, Cheap AF Violin I got off of Facebook Marketplace

Join the Mandolin and Friends Discord Server!

Well, that is kind of you, but I've been to "regular" sessions, and we aren't there yet. It is a "learning" session, and, frankly, the music store is supporting a "learning" session, because its essentially free lessons - or free support activities for people who are learning an instrument. So, that's part of the draw for a music store venue. Moving into a more "regular" session is going to require a few more tunes at a faster pace. But we're getting there!