Thread: Gear for taking online lessons

Default Gear for taking online lessons

Hi! I’m about to begin private online lessons and was wondering about the ideal audio and video setup for Mac/iOS.
    Is my laptop enough or should I use an external mic and earbuds?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gear for taking online lessons

It's all a question of how good a sound quality and picture you want. Yes with the service software, SKYPE or other platform, your laptop will work. You can purchase a separate camera and an inexpensive surround sound system and your experience will be better sound wise and picture wise. But that is not a have to thing to do. I don't own earbuds but I expect they would work fine too. Enjoy your lessons. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I had been doing just fine with my I pad alone for a year. Recently, using an old apple Mac and a set of good speakers. It’s nice to have the bigger image and better sound.if you are using Zoom, there are some sound adjustments to make re background noise suppression and original sound for musicians

I have used an external speaker and blue snowball external mic. Record every session and download to the computer when done

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    I have used an external speaker and blue snowball external mic. Record every session and download to the computer when done
    I use the same gear (external speaker and Snowball mic) and do the same. I believe the mics are discontinued though.

I also use a web cam since my Mac mini doesn't have a camera, provides lots of flexibility.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I take mandolin lessons from Gerry Harrington in Ireland to Austin Texas. He uses his phone and What's App and I have mac mini with audio interface.. excellent quality.