Thread: Sobell 5 course mandolin

Default Sobell 5 course mandolin

I'm not sure where to post, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

What sets or gauges would you recommend for a Sobell 5 course mandolin (14.5 scale length)?

Thanks so much.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sobell 5 course mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    I'm not sure where to post, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

What sets or gauges would you recommend for a Sobell 5 course mandolin (14.5 scale length)?

Thanks so much.
    My 10-strings are close to your scale, at 14.25". If the neck has an adjustable truss rod you will have some freedom. Assuming tuning is CGDAE, you probably should start with .009, .014, .022, 034, .048., the gauges I use. (My newest Buchanan likes a heavier E and A, using .011 and .015.)

I buy singles in bulk from JustStrings.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Thanks Tom, I will look into these gauges. I have been confused as to whether to go with a mandola set (understanding the scale length issue) and add a high E or go with a mandolin set and add a low C.

Captain Obvious on the line. CGDAE. GDAE is same as mandolin with same scale length. then use string tension calculator to choose a C with roughly the same tension.

6. The following members say thank you to mandocello8 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    Captain Obvious on the line. CGDAE. GDAE is same as mandolin with same scale length. then use string tension calculator to choose a C with roughly the same tension.
    But this is not the same scale length -- it is roughly 4% longer. Any set of mando strings will produce higher tension. And as I noted, with a fifth course the total load is higher, even if the top four courses matched some standard load.

After experimenting to find my best gauges I now buy in bulk. This makes sets for rather less than retail. I pay about $5 for a ten-string custom set. No need to be limited to options that are not really appropriate for ten-string.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I believe (it's what I have written down, anyway) that my 40+ year old cedar top Sobell is strung 10-15-23-35-52.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Frankenzouk is ready for strings, and I’m pretty confused. Intending CGDA, one octave down from mandolin. Mandocello ones seem 20-74, Greek zouk 10-26. My scale length is 26”. Ideas?
    (Tried the fretless approach; sound was just too dull, so put in frets.)

I have played a 10 string Sobell mandolin for nearly 40 years. I tune the top eight strings like a normal mandolin, but my bass strings to D rather than C.

For the top eight strings, I use a set of D'Addario J74s. For the bass two, I use a 53 (bottom string of a set of D'Addario light guitar strings - usually Phosphor Bronze). Note: I don't change the bass strings quite as often as the others.

Quite happy with that set-up.
    David A. Gordon

12. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Jim and Dagger gave you different info, even though both of them have Sobell 5-courses. I'd be curious how the scale length and age on theirs compare to yours, since those factors could make a difference --- especially if Stefan has significantly changed his bracing along the way. So, I'd suggest e-mailing Stefan with the serial number of your mando and ask him for his recommendation.

FWIW, I have a Lawrence Nyberg 5-course --- which I call my mandolinola --- with a 15" scale length. Lawrence recommended 9, 16, 22, 32, and 46 for it.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Jim and Dagger gave you different info, even though both of them have Sobell 5-courses. I'd be curious how the scale length and age on theirs compare to yours, since those factors could make a difference --- especially if Stefan has significantly changed his bracing along the way. So, I'd suggest e-mailing Stefan with the serial number of your mando and ask him for his recommendation.

FWIW, I have a Lawrence Nyberg 5-course --- which I call my mandolinola --- with a 15" scale length. Lawrence recommended 9, 16, 22, 32, and 46 for it.
    Jim uses 10-15-23-35-52. I use 11-15-26-40- 53. Our mandolins sound very similar - 40+ years old, cedar top.

There is not much difference between 52 and 53 on the bass, where I imagine there is probably the most tension. Anyway, my instrument has withstood it since early 1984. Note that EJ74 are classed as medium strings. I never use anything else on my mandolins - a Collings, a Seagull and the Sobell..

The Nyberg you mention looks to need lighter strings at 9, 16, 22, 32, and 46.
    David A. Gordon

15. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

I'd be inclined to go along with Dagger's gauges. :-P

I always found mine to be too light, but Stefan told me not to put medium-gauge strings on these old cedar-top 10-strings, that he didn't know then what he knew later about bracing.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Looks like I need to go with a set of J74 on top and a 52 on the bottom.

Marcus, I have no idea how old my 10 string is, but is nothing like new but in amazing condition. I came from the estate of a gentleman in CA who collected mandolins. I would guess anywhere from the late 70's to mid 80's. I wish I knew and my thought is only a WAG.

Thanks everyone.

FYI. I have just put on a 52,35,25,15,11 set and I like them very mush. thanks to all for your help..

blessings,
    J.C. Bryant

20. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post: