Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $4,000 A Snakehead

Default Re: $4,000 A Snakehead

For what it's worth, the ebay seller confirmed that he is not able to read the style designation on the label. We know that there were all kinds of peculiarities with the specs and labels for snakeheads of the period. Strange and wonderful A's or A1's with "The Gibson" logo on the peghead, instruments with A2-Z specs but labeled A or A2- , etc. etc. All of the '23 snakehead A2's with pictures in the Archive have "The Gibson" on the peghead, but that's only a small sample. I can't find a single example of one with a plain peghead with a Google search either. Is it possible that A2's having "The Gibson" peghead logo is the exception to Gibson being consistently inconsistent during the snakehead era? Probably not, but does anybody out there have a snakehead (or a picture of one) with a plain peghead and A2 on the label?

Default Re: $4,000 A Snakehead

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    For what it's worth, the ebay seller confirmed that he is not able to read the style designation on the label. We know that there were all kinds of peculiarities with the specs and labels for snakeheads of the period. Strange and wonderful A's or A1's with "The Gibson" logo on the peghead, instruments with A2-Z specs but labeled A or A2- , etc. etc. All of the '23 snakehead A2's with pictures in the Archive have "The Gibson" on the peghead, but that's only a small sample. I can't find a single example of one with a plain peghead with a Google search either. Is it possible that A2's having "The Gibson" peghead logo is the exception to Gibson being consistently inconsistent during the snakehead era? Probably not, but does anybody out there have a snakehead (or a picture of one) with a plain peghead and A2 on the label?
    I would guess no to the first question and no I can't help out with the second question. I'm convinced that it's an A1, but it's concerning that the label is illegible. I have no problem with someone asking any price they want, but if you can't read the label then it's probably not "museum quality".