Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home-workshopped mandolins

Default Home-workshopped mandolins

The recent South East Florida widow of a closet full of around 60 home-workshopped made playable mandolins made by her deceased husband is trying to determine the best way to find a home for them. She is desperately trying not to discard them and is looking for a reasonable and useful way for them to find a home. Would like to find a source for all at one time and not piece meal. Would be happy to provide pictures etc. for serious inquiries only. I am just a friend of the family.

Default Re: Home-workshopped mandolins

Maybe a start would be to post a few of the brand names, and maybe a pic of a bunch. Just a thought. Sounds interesting.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

A little confusing. Are these all made in a home workshop or are they commercially made mandolins restored by this maker/luthier?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Just trying to clarify what "home-workshopped made playable" means. Are these all mandolins built by the widow's spouse? Is there a builder's name we might recognize?

Or does it mean these are instruments built by various others that the widow's spouse brought in for repairs? Again are there any fabricator's names on the headstock or labels inside? I'm sure there are people here interested.

Jim , they were all made from scratch in his workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by hirsh152 View Post
    Jim , they were all made from scratch in his workshop.
    Could you post a picture of one or two? Also, could you give us a last name in case by chance he was known to a member here?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

These are all made from scratch .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A little confusing. Are these all made in a home workshop or are they commercially made mandolins restored by this maker/luthier?
    Made in home workshop from scratch

I can’t post picture but if you post your email I would send pictures .

I can’t post picture but if you post your email I would send pictures .
    try this thread to post images: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Post-An-Image

Another possibility is to post the photos on a sharing site then post the link
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is a link that shows some pics and video: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...9;s__Mandolins

Let me know if this works.

Here is a link that shows some pics and video: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...9;s__Mandolins

Let me know if this works.
    I get this message:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEFB8D5A-B641-46AB-83BD-3DEC9DB8C3A9.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	206169
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's looking for an Apple ID login that apparently requires changes to the device you might be sending from. I'll send you a private message.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Sorry. Not a computer maven. Where I am located has a very slow wifi upload speed and cannot post pics and videos. But if you can post me your direct email would be happy to send pics. Thanks, Harry

16. The following members say thank you to hirsh152 for this post:

Sorry. Not a computer maven. Where I am located has a very slow wifi upload speed and cannot post pics and videos. But if you can post me your direct email would be happy to send pics. Thanks, Harry
    OK, I got the images, let me get them up here. They are not all mandolins and this apparently was a labor of love.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

18. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Here are the images I was sent by hirsh152. Is there anyone he sold or gave any instruments to? I don't know if I've ever seen a hobbyist luthier with this kind of output.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	instruments3.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	206178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	instruments2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	206177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Instruments1.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	206176  

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Impressive variety too, in materials and design. I think there has to be a good story here. Hope someone comes forth.

The OP wants everyone to know this is a portion of the luthier's output. Can anyone think of an organization that might be interested in these? There is a lot of work there. Someone should be able to use it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks for working through this, Mike.

A very interesting and eclectic collection.

Almost looks like an f-hole Octophone knock off on the right in the middle photo.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

A Baltimore organization, Elville Center for the Creative Arts, accepts donated musical instruments for refurbishment and donation to youngsters who cannot afford to buy one.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Joe for this very worthwhile recommendation. Since the mandolin instrument is not part of the more classical instrument family. Do you think they would be interested in getting such a large number of them? Do you personally know someone in the organization that I can reach out too.

I would look for organizations closer to the donator in Florida like this one: https://www.recycledtunesflorida.com/

I saw a few more in my search. Some of these might even come a pick up the whole lot. Otherwise it would be very costly to ship 60 mandolins. Good luck!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Two years ago my Mother died. She was the librarian at the elementary school where I went and had a special interest in children's books and getting kids interested in reading. She had been retired for many years but still volunteered at the local museum, giving tours to school kids. Anyway, she had a library at home full of children's books, many signed by the authors. After me and my sister took what we wanted, I still had over a 1000 books looking for a home. She like the library in the town where I live and I decided to donate them. Well, this was during the early days of Covid and everyone was scared of germs and the library wasn't taking them for that reason. Keep in mind, they were in perfect shape plus the fact that I driving around with fifteen boxes of books in my small SUV. I called our local elementary school and the principal said they weren't interested -- this was after a week of phoning and her not returning my call. I tried the elementary school in the next town from us and same answer -- again, after trying for days to get the principal to return my calls. (what's with these small town elementary school principals? power trip?) Didn't make sense to me and still doesn't -- especially considering we live in a fairly impoverished area, school wise. After months of driving around with all this extra weight in my car, someone suggested the local daycare -- a really nice place, plus the staff were SO HAPPY to get them. I really felt Mom's books were going to a good home.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Very glad your valiant journey ended in a good place! Hope ours does too. I wish the deceased mandolinist started to give his mandolins away before the inevitable !

31. The following members say thank you to hirsh152 for this post:

hirsh152, I do not know anyone at Elville Center for the Creative Arts but the link will take you to a page with contact information. Meanwhile, Jim Garber's suggestion of other, closer, organizations would be worthwhile to pursue.