Thread: Is there an easy program that will change pitch of a YouTube song

Default Is there an easy program that will change pitch of a YouTube song

I have a program on my desktop that says Transpose Pitch, but I can't figure out how to use it. Does anyone know of an easy transpose pitch app or program that will transpose a YouTube song or tune?

Default Re: Is there an easy program that will change pitch of a YouTube

Honestly, the easier way is to buy a download version of the song from Amazon, iTunes, Bandcamp, et al. Then you can load that into your app and change the pitch.

Audacity is a free program that many folks have, and you just select the original key and the one you want to transpose to, and let it do its thing. Now, depending on how far you go from the original key, it can start to sound a bit weird, but that will get you something to work with. (pic attached)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 12.13.13 PM.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	206198

p.s. There are ways to capture the audio from something streamed on the internet, but I'd say most of those violate some terms of service you agreed to (consciously or not!), if not something actually legal, so I'm not going to give advice on that. Spend a buck and buy the song, or find a copy of the CD to borrow, etc.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

the amazing slow downer will adjust pitch as well, not sure if that is still actively supported or not.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I downloaded Audacity, but I can't understand some of the terms. I can't put the YouTube song in there to change the pitch. Please advise. I don't want to buy the song.

- - - Updated - - -

I already have the amazing slowdowner, but can't figure out how to put a YouTube song in there to change the pitch.

The Chrome extension Transpose ▲▼ works great for me. It can also transpose by semi-tone or alter the pitch by fine-tuning, and you can even set time marker boundaries around a particular section of a video and loop that, which is great for learning small portions of a tune or transcribing a solo that contains dense clusters of notes that are challenging to pick apart in real-time.
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loess For This Useful Post:

Hi loess, this looks like I might be able to use it, but I can't figure it out. I can't put the YouTube link in anyplace. Etc.

You have to enable the extension, which probably happens by default, then you'll have to give it access to the Youtube.com site by clicking on the Extensions icon when you're there.

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 4.40.23 PM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	206213
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

from the "computer for dummies" channel: generally programs on your computer work on local files, not on "youtube videos". as first step, you download the video from youtube to your computer. this is the "mp3 file" or the "mp4 file". then you open this file in the amazing slowdowner or any other program. this is how I and many other people do it. why not work directly from youtube? mostly due to their business model, youtube/google want to show you ads, they do not want to be your $0 free data storage.

mandocello8, I have installed VLC Media Player, but I don't know how to download the YouTube video to my computer. Here's the video I want to change the key for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvJ...annel=redsal09

It starts in Gm and I want it to start in Am so I can sing along with it. More advice, please? Thank you for what you have sent so far.

Quote Originally Posted by loess View Post
    The Chrome extension Transpose ▲▼ works great for me. It can also transpose by semi-tone or alter the pitch by fine-tuning, and you can even set time marker boundaries around a particular section of a video and loop that, which is great for learning small portions of a tune or transcribing a solo that contains dense clusters of notes that are challenging to pick apart in real-time.
    How do I put a YouTube video in the Chrome Extension?

Stringalong

Is this a version of the song, Come Back to Sorrento? There's a side note to the video, the person states the song is based on an old Italian song with new words. Reason being, if one knew this, one could find the notation and simply transcribe it. Some notation may even have the accompanying chords.

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    I don't know how to download the YouTube video to my computer.
    I suggest you ask this on a general computer support forum or google "how to download youtube video". The tool I use is "youtube-dl", it works on windows, mac and linux. (you do not say what type of computer you have).

no mandolin contents in this video.

sorry about unhelpful answers.

I like to to take a song that I want to practice and "build" it with the software piano in GarageBand. I can then practice reading it in standard notation, change the BPM or change the key to the song. I can also print out sheet music for it in any key. The only disadvantage is the time it takes to build an entire tune, but copy and paste helps out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angelina Baker 1.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	206276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angelina Baker 2.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	206277  
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

This is brilliant! Since my preferred approach to learning a new tune is to find as versions as possible on Youtube and try to play along with them, I can now do this even if the video is in a different key.

Contrary to what others have suggested you don't need to download the video you just start playing it in Chrome as normal then use the slider controls of the extension to change the pitch.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

Using the Transpose extension, you don't "load" the song, really. I navigate the chrome browser to a youtube video, display the Transpose extension (see below), and then hover over it with the mouse. It will expand and show you the speed and pitch controls, and when you change them, the video playback changes.

I had trouble using the Transpose Chrome Browser Extension at first. I was able to install the extension easily enough, but it was not appearing to the right of address bar. I showed a couple other extensions there, but not that one. Youtube videos on how to use the extension showed it there, and they just clicked on it.

What I found out, was that Chrome has changed the way they display browser extensions. So, to the right of the address bar there is a puzzle piece, and if you click on it, you can find your active browser extensions. So, the process is 1), open up a youtube video, 2) click on the puzzle piece to the right of the address bar, and it will show the extensions you have, 3) click on the Transpose extension. It will expand and show the pitch and time controls. As you are playing the video, you can adjust these on the fly. Part of my problem was an extension (in my case Darken Text) were pinned to always display right next to the puzzle piece, so I couldn't figure out why I was seeing extensions, but not the Transpose extension that I was looking for, because I didn't know about the puzzle piece.

The Transpose browser extension is a great tool. Youtube has long had the ability to slow down videos, but only in large chunks, like 75%, 50% and 25%. Transpose is better, as you can change the speed in 1% increments, the pitch away from A=440, and you can change the key in half step increments. The slowed versions using Transpose sound better to me than using the default youtube speed control, but I have not done a direct comparison.

Just learned you can pin the Transpose extension in the chrome browser, to avoid having to use the puzzle piece to show/enable it.

How do I put a YouTube video in the Chrome Extension?

Stringalong
    You do not put in a youtube video. The chrome extension runs in your chrome browser that extends its functionality. Navigate to the video, then adjust the settings of the chrome extension. You can reach the extensions in the ... menu, or it is possible to pin the extension on your toolbar. For an example, this shows the one extension I have installed:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-23 113227.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	206285
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Gary Leonard, this is great!! Thank you so much. And thanks to everyone who gave me ideas, but this one really works easily.

But Gary, once I have transposed the YouTube version, I can play it only in Chrome extension. Is there any way to save it in the new key?

Gary Leonard, this is great!! Thank you so much. And thanks to everyone who gave me ideas, but this one really works easily.

But Gary, once I have transposed the YouTube version, I can play it only in Chrome extension. Is there any way to save it in the new key?
    To save the youtube video you can google "youtube mp3" and pick a site, I just tried this one and it worked for me:

https://ytmp3.nu/0/youtube-to-mp3

once you download it, you can load it into Transcribe! or Amazing slow Downer or other app and change the pitch.

- - - Updated - - -

This works great with Chordify! Thank you for sharing.

Maybe this has been pointed out already, but youtube has a feature/function that allows you to slow down the playback without altering the pitch. It's that little "wheel" at the bottom right side of the YouTube screen. Just click on it and choose how much you want to slow it down.

Search on Google for the following: Youtube to mp3 converter
    It will return various sites. One of the first 5 will work fine.
    Put the url of the audio in the box. I usually right click in the audio's
    image and copy the url that way. Works better.
    Download the mp3 and open in Audacity [which can be downloaded for free].
    Audacity is a very valuable tool! It can adjust the pitch and speed of the mp3.
    Then you can save the mp3 as you like it. The original mp3 will be unchanged.