Thread: Some nice mando playing by Fergal Scahill

Default Some nice mando playing by Fergal Scahill

It's always nice to come across some lovely mando playing in the Irish music world where the it tends not to feature that much, compared to more "mainstream" instruments.

Anyhow, this clip of Fergal Scahill came up in my facebook stream today which brightened up my day. That's not to say my day was going badly, and unusually it was sunny in Manchester, but it did anyway... I understand Fergal is better known as a fiddle player?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=613071227316155
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Feb-23-2023 at 7:40pm.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Cowham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Some nice mando playing by Fergal Scahill

Fergal did a few mandolin tunes on his last 365 "fiddle tune a day" series.
    He bought a Collings on one of their US tours.
    Bren

4. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

His brother Enda, best known for banjo, plays the mandolin extremely well also. Musical family! Fergal's fiddle tune a day is a must see for my bride the fiddle player.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

6. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Also Martin Howley who is the main mando player in We Banjo 3 along with the Scahills and his brother David.

https://youtu.be/c3ZHJ6wjReI
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk Loske View Post
    His brother Enda, best known for banjo, plays the mandolin extremely well also. Musical family! Fergal's fiddle tune a day is a must see for my bride the fiddle player.
    Thanks Ryk and Bren,
    I'll check out his youtube channel for more of his playing. A great Manchester fiddle playing friend who lives in the States now (Colin Farrell) does, or a least did a tune a day, wonderful that these musicians share their music like this.

Anyhow, I was out for a social yesterday eve with some friends from the Manchester Irish music scene, where I learnt that Colin's brother Shane, who I've never met, but know of as a great banjo player, also plays mando. So, here is some more lovely Irish music played on the mando by Shane Farrell after a quick search on t'internet.

Last edited by Paul Cowham; Feb-25-2023 at 6:49pm.

Sorry for another post on this possibly meaningless thread, but on Ryk Loske's recommendation, I've checked out Fergal's tune a day on youtube and found a couple of videos with a mando playing friend of his (Dave Clancy). So in the spirit of sharing nice mandolin playing, here is on of them.

It's probably not statistically significant, but all the video's that I've shared on this thread feature lovely mandolin playing by three gents with a significant amount of facial hair - maybe that's the secret to playing great celtic mandolin? (with apologies to the fairer sex - this is meant as a comedic observation rather than a serious statement!).

10. The following members say thank you to Paul Cowham for this post: