Thread: "MANN" mandolin.....anyone with info

Default "MANN" mandolin.....anyone with info

Years ago I had a very nice F5 style mandolin. It was a MANN..very similar to an Ibenez at that time, made in Japan I think.I was told it was a 1976. I have never seen another Mann or heard anything about them...any Cafe members with any info to share?
    Thanks In Advance.
    "The Flatiron" '83 A5-2 Steve Carlsons
    "wires an wood...man that's good!"

Default Re: "MANN" mandolin.....anyone with info

Use the search box, upper right: many threads on this subject.

I play regularly with a friend who has one. It seems nice. He upgraded to an Ellis two-point a couple of years ago, so I don't see the MANN as much as I used to. He is a member here so he might respond to this thread himself.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

I have nothing to add about your particular Mann, but to be fair will say that Jonathan Mann in TN is building "Manndolins," (both acoustic and electrics, though he's more known for the electrics), so a search in the Cafe is likely to turn up a bunch of info on him. Not sure about your Mann; I'd never heard of them until this thread, and was actually surprised it was not about Jon's instruments!

That said, there were some pretty nice mandolins coming out of Japan then, so I'm not surprised yours is a good one.
    Chuck

Since the OP is in Nova Scotia, the Mann in question may be one of the many guitars, mandolins (?), etc. imported into Canada in the seventies under that name. They were along the lines of the Ibanez instruments of that period (same factory?). I used one of their telecasters for a few years way back then. There's still a website with details.

(edit) Site is mannguitars.com. But I don't see any mandolins there, and don't remember seeing any in shops either.
    Last edited by Bruce Clausen; Feb-28-2023 at 2:22pm.