Thread: LRBaggs replacement putty

Default LRBaggs replacement putty

Hey y'all,

I have found some discussion of this topic on here before, but I wanted to ask it myself.

Do you have any recommendations for installing an LRBaggs Radius that has no putty onto my mandolin? It is an old Gibson so I was thinking the Schertler putty or the ace hardware goo some have mentioned might work.

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: LRBaggs replacement putty

I called Baggs and they sent me some...mailed it out that day, free of charge
    too many strings

Nice, I just called and the tech guy- Caleb - got my address and is shipping some out today! We shall see how it works

I use "Fun-Tak" (from the Loctite folks) on my Radius. Works well and comes off without leaving any marks. Any residue cleans off fine. (Full disclosure, I have only used it on the varnish on an older MD815v, and probably a catalyzed finish on "The Loar" - not any kind of new varnish or recently lacquered finish.)

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-epoxy/1490663
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Just as Keith says above - blue Fun Tak by Loctite. I've used this stuff to mount JJB piezo heads under the soundboard in I don't know how many instruments now. Everything from ukulele to fiddle to mando to banjo, guitar and double bass. Some of these I did over 10 years ago and they're still holding fine.

When I've needed to remove the pickups to wire another additional type pickup (mag for example) to the jack they come off easy and go back on easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Just as Keith says above - blue Fun Tak by Loctite. I've used this stuff to mount JJB piezo heads under the soundboard in I don't know how many instruments now. Everything from ukulele to fiddle to mando to banjo, guitar and double bass. Some of these I did over 10 years ago and they're still holding fine.

When I've needed to remove the pickups to wire another additional type pickup (mag for example) to the jack they come off easy and go back on easy.
    Would you recommend this on a face of a 1914 Gibson f2?

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoryan View Post
    I might stick something under the tailpiece, or some other inconspicuous place on the top, for a while, honestly, just to test. That [really old] varnish finish should be impervious to almost anything, but testing first is going to give you an answer. If it's been french polished or sprayed over at any time, that can soften things up. But, like I said, the varnish on that Eastman was not bothered by it.

p.s. you can always try to stick it inside.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

8. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoryan View Post
    I've always used it inside the instrument, on the underside of the soundboard opposite where the bridge feet make contact. I've never stuck it to a finished surface. Lacking such experience I wouldn't recommend doing so.

Blog Entries

For stick-on transducers I get the poster hanging white gum from a hobby or art store. Same as comes with the pick ups.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"