Thread: Is shifting up one fret ok?

Default Is shifting up one fret ok?

I don’t generally have trouble with my pinky, but a phrase in one of my favorite tunes—Half Past Four—gives me trouble because, if I play it in normal position, my middle, ring, and pinky are all separated by one fret on the first string: Index on 2 (F#), middle on 3(G), ring on 5(A), pinky on 7 (B). I think the tough stretch is between the middle and ring, exacerbated by that extra pinky stretch (am I beating this into the ground?). I can do it, but it’s awkward and trips me up. Is it “ok” to shift my index up one fret after I play the F# so that I can play the G, A, B sequence with my index, middle, and ring fingers? Do people commonly do this sort of thing? Or is there a compelling reason that I should suck it up and keep practicing with the “proper” fingerings until I get it right?

Default Re: Is shifting up one fret ok?

Nobody cares what fingers you use, they just want to hear the music.

I don't understand your fret numbering, when you say 'index on 2 (F#). the second fret is E, or maybe I don't understand even more.

But if you play the F# (4th fret) with your middle finger, G (5th fret) with ring finger, A open or with a short pink stretch to 7th fret, you can grab the B with your index finger on the A string. Or any other combination of fingers that works for you.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Thanks, Bill. Sorry for my confusing terminology. All of these notes are on the first string. The numbers are fret positions. So, fret 2 on the first (E) string is F#, etc.

I was prepared for the “whatever gets the job done” school of thought. I’m just wondering if doing this one-off type of arbitrary shift to overcome a difficult finger stretch could somehow hurt me in the long run. Sounds like you contend it won’t, which is good to hear.

I've been working on half past four recently too. Great tune. If I understand you correctly you are talking about the run which includes the accidental G (the third bar of the A section). I play it with the stretch & feel like it needs to be done that way because it descends right back down to the F#, right? (E F# G A B A F# E F# E I think) If you shift up it would mean a long stretch from your ring on the A down to your index on the F#. No thanks. I have a hard time getting my pinky to sound as powerfully as I'd like sometimes and certainly cheat with my ring finger on the 7th fret here and there but I think on this tune you need to suck it up and follow the rules. At least I do.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

5. The following members say thank you to Stopstop for this post:

Thanks for the clarification, I forgot about F# living in other places

You should be able to make that stretch with a bit of work over time. My small hand can do it just fine on my 15" scale instruments. You can also play it starting on the A string, 9th and 10th frets, and then move to the E string 5 and 7. It all depends on what's before and what's after this series of notes.

I think increasing your hand flexibility is always a good, but play it as you can.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

7. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Yeah, love this tune! I think we’re talking about the same phrase, but we play it a little different. I play E F# G A B G A G E C#. So, if I didn’t the index shift up to that G, it would be there when I come back down to it. Incidentally, I have no problem stretching my pinky up to the B while holding my index on the F#. It’s just when the middle is also on the G that makes the stretch doable but awkward.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Discussing the fingering of one little four-note figure doesn't make much sense. The optimal fingering may depend on what comes before or after it. It's perfectly OK, often normal, to use the same finger for the f# and g in this case, assuming the key is something like D, A mixolydian, or B dorian. It may liberate the 8th and 9th frets (or not), which amounts to a position shift. On the other hand I can think of situations where I would play the f# and g on the a course.

Then there is the question of left hand technique. I've found that a lot of people tend to hold, grab, support, palm the neck with their fretting hand, thus restricting
    mobility. Could that be your problem?

10. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

The answer is YES. It is completely ok to shift up one fret, two frets, 3 frets etc. Don't even overthink it for a second.

No matter how much time and effort I spend (or waste) trying, my pinky will never be as strong or as long or as accurate as my ring, middle and index fingers. IMO properly shifting is a vitally important and useful skill but an under pursued skill. I think that too many players spend too much time torturing themselves, their pinkies, and their music trying to remain in first position (or in a single position).

Before I get hounded and berated: I DID NOT SAY "DON'T LEARN TO DEVELOP YOUR PINKY">

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

I agree with "whatever gets the job done" ... but I also believe in doing whatever I can to strengthen all my fingers, especially the #$&%#()(# pinky. Lately I've been spending a lot of time working through Ted Eschliman's FFCP scale exercises. Those require a lot of pinky work, and some difficult stretches. After spending a month on them, they still feel like mandolin calisthenics (which is basically what they are). They are still difficult, especially when I pay close attention to playing them cleanly and with good tone. What I've discovered, though, is that while the exercises are still difficult, virtually everything else I play is all of a sudden easier, and I can somehow play a lot of things faster than I ever could before. Sometimes I still do "whatever gets the job done", but I'm also still working hard to get to a point where my pinky can also be efficient in getting the job done.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

14. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post: