Thread: Mandolin Collection in Canada

Default Mandolin Collection in Canada

This sounds significant especially including some of our favorite Italian and US-made bowlbacks. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/200970#200970

I do understand the desire to get everything sold at once but I can’t imagine how many folks would have sufficient cash to do so. My guess is the seller will be approached by some dealers who will offer to sell on consignment or else the seller will sell with an auction house.

We shall see…

I have a collection of mandolins for sale that will be of interest to mandolin dealers, collectors and restorers. I inherited this collection from a mandolin enthusiast who was a collector and restorer of early and vintage mandolins.

There are several mandolins from reputable builders including Embergher, Calace, Vega, De Meglio, Lyon & Healy, Weymann, Bohmann, etc. There is also a Gibson Mandocello and three banjolins. Some of the mandolins are in good condition and many require repair or restoration. The majority of the mandolins are bowlbacks.

My preference at this time is to sell the collection in whole or part and not just as individual instruments.

Serious inquiries only. More information available on request.

The collection has over 50 instruments and includes:

Lyon and Healy: Style A, Style B, Banjolin Style A No 1330
    Gibson: Mandocello K2, Banjolin MB1
    Embergher: Signed Mandolin Soloist/Concert model N. 5
    Calace: 4 instruments including a Mandolute no 17657
    Bruno Banjolin
    Bowlback mandolins by Vega, Suzuki, Weymann, Bohmann, Christofaro, De Meglio and other American and Italian makers
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Mandolin Collection in Canada

Might be an attractive buy for a retailer in that the price would need to be low in order to average over unknown conditions. Pick out the best few, and get your investment back. But the collectable bowl back market being rather small, doing anything in a short time is likely impossible.
    Of course, it only takes one person with some money and a bug to have an instant collection. Ain’t me.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I'm interested in seeing her Cristofaro.
    And the "other" makers not listed.

I guess I should send a message and see.

I think Richard is likely correct. Who has the do-re-mi to buy the whole lot?

There was another Canadian fella who frequented here for awhile and he amassed a pretty interesting collection of bowlbacks and then disposed of them piece by piece, iirc.

I guess Canada is a big country.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I wrote to her and she sent me links to files online but I had to request permission. I don’t think I have quite enough money in my bank account. Will report back here. Hmmmm…. Maybe if each of us put in a few dollars we could buy them all?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I wrote to her and she sent me links to files online but I had to request permission. I don’t think I have quite enough money in my bank account. Will report back here. Hmmmm…. Maybe if each of us put in a few dollars we could buy them all?
    Call it a Pickstarter effort?

I also got the spreadsheet, but not the access to the files yet. Curious Embergher 3 in question (the other one is a straightforward No 5, no doubt). The face of the former one looks Roman, but the headstock is not. And mentions both Embergher and Vinaccia in description. Perhaps a Roman mandolin made by Vinaccia?

8. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

That one is actually even more curious, it has both Pasquale Vinaccia 1877 and Embergher labels. Looks like it has been re-topped in Embergher shop at some stage, as the top looks Embergher style. Not sure if it adds any value, better if it was either V or E completely...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Call it a Pickstarter effort?
    *ba dum tssss*...

I've been to Victoria and looked the collection over, so I have seen all these mandolins. I am willing to consider importing the entire caboodle and selling off the instruments, but there are so many factors to consider, and I have a number of other projects — so my timeline and hers don't seem to sync up. I advised her to look around and see if anyone else was interested.

Just about every bowlback listed is in need of some repair.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

BTW I converted all the HEIC image files to JPG in case those are easier for anyone.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I don't think I want to post the link in the forum, but I've added all the photos of this collection to a OneDrive folder. PM or email me for a link.
    Last edited by mrmando; Mar-10-2023 at 4:43am.

14. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Just wanted to let everyone know that all instruments from the collection are now available individually. I have bought some, including the interesting Embergher/Vinaccia hybrid. The owner is reliable and trustworthy, doesn't mind shipping internationally and does package well.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post: