Thread: Mandocello String Height

Default Mandocello String Height

I'd love to know what string height you 'cello players prefer, and on what brand of mandocello. I'm breaking in to the 'cello world with a new Gold Tone. I've put the height at the 12th fret at 5/64 on the low C, and 4/64 on the high A. It's relatively comfortable for me. What string height do you other players use and/or recommend? Thanks in advance.....

Default Re: Mandocello String Height

My mandocello is roughly same as my octave mandolin, roughly same as a 12-string guitar would be (if I still had one). Lower the string action and live with lots of buzzing, raise string action and have your fingers complain.

An old-timer wrote in to the Mandolin World News back when that publication was in print and declared that "ALL" the mandocello players in mandolin orchestras used to remove one C string. In an on-going battle between comfortable action and no C string rattle, I employed this suggestion and was pleased with the results. I noticed no noticeable degradation of amplitude and was able to keep a low string action with only 1/2 the C string rattle!
    too many strings

String rattle isn't a bug - it's a feature!