Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Lindley, RIP

Default David Lindley, RIP

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...browne-dies-79

I was a big fan of his during the El Rayo X days and saw him playing both solo and with that band a few times in New York. So sad to lose yet another big talent.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Default Re: David Lindley, RIP

When I was working at a music dealer/wholesaler biz, I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times. He was a gentleman, humble, and could play a lot of stuff really well! RIP.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Sad, sad news. I was a huge fan.

RIP
    David A. Gordon

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

What a tremendous loss.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I'm gonna buy me a mercury.....
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

David got sounds out of instruments that are etched in people's brains and the majority of them never knew his name. RIP.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

He was a great influence in my getting into funky guitars in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Saw him a couple of times and talked to him once. Gave him a funky Teisco electric labeled for the Ideal toy company.

His appearance with Jackson Brown on Saturday Night Live playing Running on Empty will probably be one for the ages.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

One with 8 strings.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I bought all his albums and saw him once in concert here in my small town, just David and a percussionist. It was a great show. He'll be missed, but he had a good run.

He's famous for the comment that "It's all one instrument" when talking about playing all the many different ones he was known for playing.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

RIP David. What a musical legacy he left behind.

Another one with 8 strings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njlh1BA0E58

Last edited by Don Grieser; Mar-04-2023 at 11:06am.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

RIP, David Lindley

I'm afraid we are reaching an era where we will be saying goodbye to one musical giant after another.
    So far this year: David Lindley, Wayne Shorter, Burt Bacharach, Chuck Jackson, Tom Verlaine, David Crosby, Jeff Beck, Huey Piano Smith...

I'm so glad that Paul McCartney practices yoga at 80, and that somehow Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Ringo Starr and Keith Richards are still with us.
    1913 F4, 1914 H1, 1915 A1, 1923 F2, 2007 Jim Rowland F5

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCNelson For This Useful Post:

Dave is a great inspiration to me. I first saw him on Jackson's Pretender album tour in 76 or 77 or whatever, and later learned all his pedal steel solo's on For Everyman back when I was playing pedal steel. I've often posted here and elsewhere examples of his playing to demonstrate the viability of economy Hora instruments, introductions to oud playing, deploying these in Western song forms, etc. His excursions into non-Western forms compel me: the Sweet Sunny North compilation introduced me to Halvard Bjorgum, Annbjorg Lien, and traditional Norwegian music such that I'm currently immersed in the trad Norsk fiddle tradition myself. As a longtime guitarist and multi-instrumentalist myself, his axiom "All one big instrument" certainly rings true. Thank you for everything Dave.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

BrenNbayrfr 

I have a picture on my wall of my friend Dave and David Lindley, the two Daves. Will be missed, such a talent.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

From a 2000 article in the LA Times, marking forty years of the Topanga Canyon Banjo and Fiddle Contest:

"Over the last 40 years, contestants have ranged in age from 4 to 98 and in ability from accomplished amateurs to promising novices. While still in his teens, recording artist David Lindley won the fiddle competition four years straight in the 1960s. It’s been reported that contest officials then made Lindley a judge in order to give other fiddlers a chance."

He also won the banjo contest along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I'm gonna buy me a mercury.....
    I always loved this version by the Slide Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I bought all his albums and saw him once in concert here in my small town, just David and a percussionist. It was a great show. He'll be missed, but he had a good run.
    There was that stretch of my youth when the greats were all dying young and strung (out). Now, they're dying after a good run. Intimations of mortality, I reckon.

I also saw him with drummer/percussionist Wally Ingram as the Twango Bango duo. Two kindred musical spirits: great talents with a wonderfully musical loose screw. Lindley had a bunch of stringed instruments --- no violin --- on stands behind him. I knew what some of them were. The guy was an explorer and a master!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

23. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

tree 

So, the first time I heard David on an early Jackson Browne album playing fiddle ( at the time I was primarily a fiddle player). I thought to myself- that is how I want to play fiddle. Not the fancy stuff with too many notes, but the muscular stuff that knew where it was going. And that is how I spent the next 40+ years of my life (while adding the mandolin family to my arsenal). And don't get me going on El Rayo Ex. Those albums ruled, as they used to say. So, to say this is a loss really doesn't mean much to me. David Lindley was a true american original. He was one of a kind.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Blog Entries

The classic Jackson Browne songs would not be the same without Lindley’s slide and fiddle parts. Late for the Sky album really features his work so well. So sad to hear, Jim.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

This a great remembrance with lots of info on tracks he played on. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ew-1234690862/
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...browne-dies-79

I was a big fan of his during the El Rayo X days and saw him playing both solo and with that band a few times in New York. So sad to lose yet another big talent.
    Saw many times solo and With El Rayo in Seattle at the legendary Backstage Tavern in Ballard. What a master musician... in every way. And FUNNY! Damn...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'll try and keep this brief and on point, but I make no promises.

I had one David Lindley experience, and it was a memorable one. It was at the Winnipeg Folk Festival in 1991. I was there because the jug band I was in got to play there, which was my first taste of "the big time." We got flown out, put up in the Holiday Inn downtown, bused out to the festival site an hour away, shlepped around the grounds in golf carts - oh, and got to play a couple of sets. We opened the Friday night concerts, and on Sunday did a jug band workshop with The Jug Band - everyone from the Kweskin outfit except Kweskin, who had forsaken the music as the work of the devil. I have so many stories from the weekend, but I'm going to try and stay focused.

Flying out was no problem - west from NYC to Minneapolis, north to Winnipeg. But I heard horror stories from many people who were rerouted first north to Toronto and then west to Winnipeg. Apparently, Canadian customs in Toronto was not clued in about an influx of lots of odd-looking people carrying odd-looking baggage, and many musicians got the full inspection treatment.

This included Lindley, who had more instruments than anyone, most likely. I believed he made some humorous remarks about this in his stage patter. He was he headliner Thursday night. What I mostly remember about his performance is that he had an enormous wooden chest on stage - and I mean, enormous, a few cubic meters - from which he would reach in and pull out whatever instrument he wanted to play for the next song. It was like Felix The Cat reaching into his bag of tricks - only a much bigger bag. Many delightful noise makers and noises issued from the chest and the stage during his time on it. It was quite a delight all around.

I'd known his name, of course, but never had had the chance to hear him live before - nor since. I'll never forget that spectacle. Thanks for this memory, and all the music. RIP, David Lindley.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winnipeg 1991 Poster.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	206438

The notes in the first clip say the interview with Ry Cooder was recorded then, but he did not perform at the festival. I'd have known - I've always wanted to see him but never have. In the second clip the interviewer says it was recorded earlier in the week. (Just trying to keep the record straight.) Too bad there's no footage of Lindley in action. But he sounds great.

/
    Last edited by journeybear; Mar-06-2023 at 9:54am. Reason: getting things right
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

30. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

There is a fundraiser selling T-shirts to help his wife and daughters with medical bills: https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...✓&query[keyword]=David+lindley&button=

32. The following members say thank you to StillStephen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    He ... could play a lot of stuff really well!
    Indeed. I always assumed he was some kind of wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
    There is a fundraiser selling T-shirts to help his wife and daughters with medical bills: https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...✓&query[keyword]=David+lindley&button=
    I tried and got a generic page. I did see that you had to search for David+Lindley. Maybe if we link this way: click here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
    Try this link: https://www.customink.com/fundraisin...-wellness-fund
    too many strings

As already mentioned above, his contribution to Jackson Browne's early albums was huge. One of my friends was/is in a band called Latin Quarter. They recorded an album in LA called "Swimming Against the Stream" in 1989 and I can't quite remember the exact story but Richard had been given David Linley's telephone number back in England by somebody, so he phoned him- not expecting to get hold of him, but he answered and better still came along and contributed to the album! I sent this Danny O'Keefe song with David playing steel a number of years ago. Two greats- (and a few Eagles as well) on this- Danny and David. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscaIi-y1pQ

Lindley was such a talented musician. I wasn't really aware of his work until I heard Late For the Sky, but his solo on that song absolutely floored me. He conveys more emotion in that solo than many folks convey in an entire album.
    2022 Eastman MD515/V
    2022 Gibson F-5G

38. The following members say thank you to TarHeelPicker for this post: