Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best mandolin straps?

Question The best mandolin straps?

I have looked online at several different strap options for my daughter and I. I have an F style, and my daughter has an A. As the strap wraps right around the surface finish of the instrument, it seems this would be an area one best not skimp, particularly on a new varnish finish?

My searching turned up Bailey, Lakota, Sully and Pinegrove as recommended options. Any I'm missing? What are your fav's!? Thanks all for any advice or thoughts!
    Last edited by r0gue; Mar-04-2023 at 7:10am.

Default Re: The best mandolin straps?

I have two Pinegrove straps. Great quality.
    --

2021 Eastman MD505
    2000 Master Works hammered dulcimer
    1953 Body

My F style has a Sully. For A style I use either a Sully or Pinegrove.

Have also used Lakota and liked them. Both A and F style. If the length works for you they are also a good choice.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

[QUOTE=Eric Platt;1897420]My F style has a Sully. For A style I use either a Sully or Pinegrove.

Hi Friends,
    I have changed to El Dorado straps with all of my mandolins. I find them the most consistently adjustable for performance and recording comfort. They have a nice feature of suede on one side so when it's against clothing the instrument stays put. Or, you can flip it over and let the instrument move a bit more having the smooth side over the shoulder. Hope this helps.

https://eldoradostraps.com
    Steve Smith

it seems this would be an area one best not skimp, particularly on a new varnish finish
    It's funny that you said that. I've always used pretty cheap straps even though I have a few reasonably nice mandolins.
    I just got a new (to me) Givens F-5 so I was looking to get a better strap for it...so your topic is timely.
    I just ordered one of these - OCHRE handcrafted. They look really good and I like the way the strap loop sits in the scroll (at least in the pictures).

Good luck in all of your mandolin-related quests!

Kirk

2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

For my A body I use a D'Addario leather mandolin strap with the cord tied around the neck where it joins the body. Or at least I DID until I got my F body. Now my A body doesn't get much play time anymore.

For my F body I use a Lakota Leather strap. Had to spring for an extra few inches custom length, though.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I have one El Dorado which I really like for the comfort and adjustability and one Bailey which I like for the secure way it holds the endpin and the way it looks. Both of them are leather with no metal or hard plastic so I can store them on the mando with no fear of scratches or dings in the case.

The El Dorado is linked above. I'll link the Bailey here. Both great straps.
    https://www.thebaileystrap.com/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have been playing music with a fellow that made his living playing mandolin. He has a leather boot lace on most of his mandolins.

I went to the fabric store and bought some braided strapping for my banjos. My mandolins now have boot laces.

10. The following members say thank you to Greg Connor for this post:

I have one I bought from Elderly nearly 40 years ago. What I like about it is that it has a short leather strip sewed to it that gives a place to park a few picks, so my favorites are always handy. Unfortunately, I don't know the maker.

I also have a Lakota.

D.H.

I have several guitar and mandolin straps from Pinegrove but, ultimately, they’re all just strips of leather of variable quality. I’d recommend getting one which didn’t adjust with a buckle.

Blog Entries

Another who loves Lakota mandolin straps. Soft, quality leather with great craftsmanship. More affordable than some. They function well and hold up.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I used one I braided from paracord for a long time. Not hard, very inexpensive, and it’s still in use almost 20 years later (though now on a travel uke). I’ve also used plain old nylon guitar straps with a tie to the headstock. My two main players now have Lakota’s on them, one braided and a solid one piece one that’s I think an inch wide. I use the solid one with a cord tied below the fretboard extension on my Kelley A-5 that’s varnish finished (my current “baby”) and have had no issues with the finish going on 5 years now.

My wife got me a beautiful F-style strap she bought from a Canadien maker she found on Etsy named Ochre. It’s a really nice quality strap, but designed for F style mandolins. Of course, I forgave her immediately for the mistake, as my A-5 and Rigel 2 point do have F holes and I’ve had F styles in the past, so it can be confusing for those that don’t obsess about this stuff. And, since I really like the straps I’m currently using, I now have an excuse to get a F style again to go with that lovely strap

Also, I recently decided to get a couple of Italia guitar straps through the classifieds. They’re very nicely (for guitar, way too much strap for a mandolin) made out of lovely, supple leather with a suede underside so they don’t slide around. The only caution I’ll offer is that the holes are cut for smaller traditional acoustic strap buttons, like I have on my Guild D-40. So, it took some trimming to get them to fit over the K and K end pin in my Martin and also the end pin in my McPherson touring, which also has a pickup. I just made them work and am still very happy with them, and they were great to deal with so I’m sure they would have refunded me or adjusted them for me, but it wasn’t worth all that trouble for either of us. Just a note to say that, if you buy from them, which I would recommend, maybe specify in your order if you have a pickup or larger strap button. They’re all made to order, so I’m sure they’d accommodate such a request, though I guess I really shouldn’t speak for them.
    Chuck

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

72" boot laces and a pigtail braid.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

16. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I like the Lakota Leathers non-braided mandolin straps. They don't cut into my should or leave much of a mark on the instrument.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I really like Sully’s Straps, particularly for an A body mandolin. I tie mine around the end of the fretboard, rather than at the nut or the head, and it works fantastic. He will take measurements and cut it to fit, wherever you wear it.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

I like the variety of adjustment possibilities & the padding makes is very comfortable. I also find it easier to take on & off than most straps. I use the over the neck style of wearing a strap. Worn over the shoulder, all straps are easy to get on & off. The price is pretty good, too. There are a lot of straps that are more asthetically pleasing I'll admit, with very high quality leather & such but this one works the best for me, practically.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000EELBQ4?...roduct_details

Blog Entries

I am not particular about straps. They are a fun, relatively inexpensive accessory that makes little difference. I certainly have no intention of using the same strap for ever.

So these days I troll Esty for guitar straps and just get stuff that looks cool. I prefer the thin variety, about an inch thick, maybe an inch and a half.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a kind of bad looking used white sneaker string on one of mine.

It was never intended to stay on as long as it has.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I like this one from the Mandolin Store, https://themandolinstore.com/product...n-strap-brown/. They come in other colors too. I wrap them behind the nut, sometimes over the truss rod cover screws to keep them out of the way of my left hand. I have more than two

I have others as well, but these just work better, help hold the balance.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I've purchased four Bailey straps over the years and like them all very much. I have the braided classic and round classic. They are all still in use and I'm a satisfied customer. The braided classic is beautiful. The round classic is more smooth and feels better over my neck. I've used leather shoelaces too and don't mind them necessarily, but I like soft, solid and easy to fit in the case.

Not sure why these are constantly overlooked: https://www.souldier.us/MANDOLINSTRAP.aspx
    Souldier’s mandolin straps are very comfortable, 1” wide, dozens of cool choices of patterns, don’t slip in length like many do and don’t in any way dig in to your shoulder like so many leather ones do. May sound like an ad, but it’s not, just my experience and I have no connection with the vendor outside of buying some of them. Great design for A or for F.

I don't like leather straps and these are practical, customizable, indestructible and come in a color that'll match your mandolin. I have a couple and found the proprietor easy to work with:

https://www.legacystraps.com/

NFI.

Thanks all, for sharing your thoughts and preferences. Plenty to work with here. Now the hard part. Deciding!

Sully's or Little Satchel (available at Carter's)
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut