Thread: What if

Default What if

The other day I was reading a post on another part of the forum about the Octolindo 4 string octave mandolin. I went to their website and saw that they also make a mandolin size 4 string. I have an instrument that I built awhile ago as a steel string tenor ukulele with a 16 1/4 scale length. If I restrung it to be tuned CGda would it be a 4 string mandola or an ultra short scale tenor guitar? Am I crazy (rhetorical question)?
    Last edited by PT66; Mar-04-2023 at 11:50am. Reason: Misspelling

Default Re: What if

I forgot how to add a picture.
    Dave Schneider

Default What if

The other day I was reading a post on about the Octolindo 4 string octave mandolin. I went to their website and saw that they also make a mandolin size 4 string. I have an instrument that I built awhile ago as a steel string tenor ukulele with a 16 1/4 scale length. If I restrung it to be tuned CGda would it be a 4 string mandola or an ultra short scale tenor guitar? Am I crazy (rhetorical question)?
    Last edited by PT66; Mar-04-2023 at 11:49am. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by PT66 View Post
    I have an instrument that I built awhile ago as a steel string tenor ukulele with a 16 1/4 scale length. If I restrung it to be tuned CGda would it be a 4 string mandola or an ultra short scale tenor guitar? Am I crazy (rhetorical question)?
    I say yes (andno, you're not crazy). I've done the electric-tenor-uke-to-single-strung-electric-mandola thing many times. I like the range.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

So……is it a 4 string mandala or a short scale tenor guitar? BTW I tune it up a step (DAeb).

I personally think of it as an electric mandola, but am not a stickler for nomenclature. I just love the tuning, and do most of my work in it.

I also have a resophonic tenot guitar which I keep in octave tuning (GDAE). Occasionally people want to name it something or other, and I don't argue. Sometimes they take my friendly capitulations to their fierce insistence as insincere and demand I adopt their viewpoints enthusiastically. I just temind myself of a lesson from long ago: Never get into a music job or band with someone who cares more about words than about the actual music. After all,who wants to spend time in a van or a bus on the road with someone like that?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?

I wish I could remember how to post a picture. This instrument is purely acoustic. Walnut back and sides with a cedar top. Pin bridge. I agree that music is more important than words. I guess I can’t help trying to name the instruments I build. Been at it for 60 years.

You can do that and call it what you will! A fnorten, perhaps? Make sure the string tension is reasonable and be prepared to try different gauges to find what works for your hands and music. Check and adjust nut, bridge and setup and start playing. I think it would be fun for you and worth the effort.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

9. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Ray(T) 

I think I‘ll call it a travel size tenor guitar.

I have a distinct feeling that our friend Oscar Stern with the screen name of lots of letters and numbers will soon find this thread and remind us that its ancester is a Brescian single strung four course mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C992C401-D405-40DC-8CA5-007E05D07585.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	844.8 KB 
ID:	206415 this is my “travel size Tenor Guitar “ formerly my steel string ukulele.
    Dave Schneider

Your 'Oval Hole,' travel size, Tenor Guitar!

I approve. I have a CGDA-tuned ukulele McNally Strumstick as a hypercompact mandola, and love that you're exploring that same space.

Pretty instrument!
    ----

Love mandola?