Thread: Should They Be Necessary?

Default Should They Be Necessary?

Hi,

This is probably a question for the builders.

I often see mandolins, being played or sold, that have grommets or noise suppressors on them. Should they be necessary?

I’ve probably not got as sensitive an ear as some folks, but I see them used widely even on the more expensive instruments. If the mandolin was properly set up, is there a need for them, or is it just the nature of the instrument?

Regards,

Default Re: Should They Be Necessary?

There are the occasional sympathetic vibrations, tailpiece rattles and so on. Some people figure "Why not?," and add them just in case. Some just like the way they look.

If you don't want or need them, by all means don't use them.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Strings vibrate between the bridge and tailpiece and many people don't like the sound of that. When recording close to a mic, the sound can be heard in the recording, so many players damp the strings in the studio. Played in acoustic situations with no mic, nobody but the player hears the sound, but it bothers some players so they damp the strings anyway.

4. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

A piece of felt or leather on the tailpiece top, or under the strings hanging out past the tailpiece ever so slightly, will do the same thing but not be seen. Some of the newer cast tailpieces don't allow the unseen damper so that is what folks do.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Necessary? Well that really depends on the tailpiece and how well the tailpiece dampens the vibrations between the bridge and the tailpiece. If the tailpiece dampens the vibrations (e.g. James tailpiece) then they are not necessary. Sometimes the vibrations can be close to a note on the fingerboard and when you play that note it beats and sounds as if the string is out of tune when it is not. Can be very annoying, and is difficult to work out what the heck is going on.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter.coombe For This Useful Post:

Brenmandrian 

My two ancient and supposedly respectable bowl backs also have damping felt at the headstock, right at the nut. One in green felt, the other red felt, and either matching felt at the tail or strings with fuzzy covers. I’m sure that neighborhood bats are pleased that I’m not sending out echo-location jamming audio.

On the many mandolins I have owned and played over many many years I have never needed grommets.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

10. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Some folks like bling, some folks like grommets. Personally, I don’t like bling.

I find the best way of testing whether grommets (or other method) are/is required is to simply chop a chord. If you hear a high pitched ring, grommets will likely get rid of it. Whether or not you want to get rid of it is entirely up to you.

I suspect that you’re more likely to want to defeat the ring on an F holed mandolin than a round hole because you’ll be looking for a more focussed sound.

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Hi,

The vast majority of mandolins that I’ve had have either James tailpieces or the open styled solid brass design favoured by Sobell, Taran, etc. Maybe partially explains why I’ve never felt the need to use the noise suppressors. However I do remember always fiddling about with Gibson style stamped tailpieces and using strips of leather, tape, etc. I’ve latterly come to the conclusion that they, at least now, could not be considered an optimum design.

I suppose you could argue the same about adjustable bridges versus one piece or one piece with insert bridges, but that’s probably an argument for another day.

Regards,

Nothing to add to what the builders have said. I use a small piece of leather bootlace on all of mine, but just on the tailpiece end. Haven’t had any problem above the nut yet.
    Chuck

If you do choose to use these grommets you can find them at electronic supply stores or online. Radio Shack used to sell them in large packs of different sizes. A word of caution. You need to find them made out of rubber. Steve Stone used to sell them. If they have any vinyl in them, and I would guess most of them do, and if you lose one in the bottom of your case you might end up with finish problems if the instrument has a lacquered finish. Vinyl eats lacquer. Check out this article from Frank Ford's www.frets.com.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If anyone is interested, I got mine from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385018321375
    IMO classier that the leather strip I had woven in down there (I have an Eastman that does sympathetically ring), and pretty cheap too.

Once you get them in, they don't pop out on their own, but when changing strings they'll run away pretty quickly and can be hard to track down.

I use the strip of leather above the nut because it's simply too tight for me to get those things in without making the string path (from nut to tuner post) get weird. Do I need them? No idea, but other than the extra bit of fussiness when changing strings, I figure I know I don't have to worry about it when they're there.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Seems like many like to arrange them in an aesthetic pattern...whatever suits. Not so much on mandolins, but on a coupla arch top guitars I have, by happy coincidence the strings between bridge and tailpiece are notes I can frequently employ in my playing in several keys. Especially an Epiphone with a Frequensator tailpiece. Let 'em ring, I say!
    too many strings

When I change strings (cast tailpiece with studs) I slip the grommet over the stud so I don’t have to worry about the loop coming up. I’m sure I’m not the first person to do that. Then afterwards they go back on the strings.

For what it’s worth …
    Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevo58 For This Useful Post: