Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

Default Re: Seeking Advice for Next Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Here's a dark horse candidate I've run up on - a peghead A4 with an older K+K pick-up. Assuming it sounds/plays well, would something like this be a safer investment?
    I wouldn't say it's safer, but it might be good. I love my old Gibsons and I still like the Pomeroy that I suggested, but the more I think about what you're looking for I think Jeff's recommendation of a Big Muddy might work really well. You can get a new build of any model you want with a K&K pickup, James tailpiece, wide nut, flat or radiused fret board, all the bells and whistles that you want and still remain within your budget. Just a little more to think about.

I currently have a Kentucky KM-160 which has been a great starter mandolin. My only real complaint with it is that the neck is a bit tight for me as I am a native guitar player and I am coming to the mandolin as my second instrument...

I am looking to upgrade a step or two up and would prefer something with a wider neck and preferably domestically made.

As to style and sound I play a wide variety of music so I am open to options that don't necessarily fit the bluegrass sound or look - so A's and ovals are o.k. by me.

I also play in electrified settings, so something with a pick-up or able to readily accept one is a bonus.
    In your price range, you could get an Eastman 614 or 615 --- which include a pick-up --- or 814 or 815, which are supposed to be a better build, but don't come with a pick-up. However, people probably haven't been mentioning them because they aren't domestically made, and they all have a narrow (1 3/32") neck.

The pre-1922 Gibson A's are really hit-and-miss in terms of tone. An ad and photos can show you the condition of one, but they aren't going be able to tell whether that specific A is one with the magic and mojo. If you're willing to cover the shipping costs on a gamble, you might buy one that's in decent condition, with a 48-hour trial period.

I always thought that the Oregon-made Breedlove Quartzes were a great mandolin in their price range, back in the day. My first mandolin was a 1992 Kentucky KM250SC, and when I decided to upgrade in 2007, I bought a Quartz OF, which I liked way better than the Eastmans at that price point that I was playing in the store. A few years later, I upgraded to a Quartz FF that I bought through the Café Classifieds, which I thought had a similar tone to the OF, but with more oomph to it.

Since you're okay with ovals and you play in electrified settings, you might check into whether you or your local luthier will have an easier time installing a pick-up (probably a K&K Mini) through an oval hole than through an f-hole. That could be the tiebreaker for you with hole shape.

I've never played a Pomeroy or a Morris, so I can't comment on how they compare with the old Gibson A's or the Breedloves. If you search through Café threads, you'll find lots of people thrilled with both Pomeroys and Morrises, in addition to the ones who have replied to your post.

The good news is that whatever you decide to buy, if for whatever reason you aren't thrilled with it, you'll be able to sell it to someone else here for most of what you paid for it.

Whatever you decide to buy, though, play it solidly for at least 1/2-hour before making a final judgment about it, because a mandolin that's being sold often hasn't been played much recently, so it will need some time to wake up.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I’d expect the former to be brighter and the latter to be warmer.
    Thank you, @pheffernan! I appreciate the feedback!

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I wouldn't say it's safer, but it might be good. I love my old Gibsons and I still like the Pomeroy that I suggested, but the more I think about what you're looking for I think Jeff's recommendation of a Big Muddy might work really well. You can get a new build of any model you want with a K&K pickup, James tailpiece, wide nut, flat or radiused fret board, all the bells and whistles that you want and still remain within your budget. Just a little more to think about.

Thanks @ Steve 2E. I really appreciate your feedback. I suppose I used the term 'safer' in terms of long-term investment value. If a vintage A-4 can be had for the same money as a modern high-quality re-imagining (i.e. Pomeroy) of this classic, it might be safe to assume that the Gibson will continue to appreciate at a rate at least as fast as the Pomeroy, at least in my lifetime? Likely overthinking it now...

I've got my eyes open for a Big Muddy- haven't found one yet in mahogany, but did come across this really cool mandola:

https://reverb.com/item/66017280-big...-mandola-mw-14

If I bought one new, it looks like an M-11W with HSC and K+K pick-up is $1,180 before shipping and I'd have to install the pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    The good news is that whatever you decide to buy, if for whatever reason you aren't thrilled with it, you'll be able to sell it to someone else here for most of what you paid for it.
    Great feedback, @Marcus CA. I really appreciate your detailed reply.

The more I dig and the more I listen to different options, I think wider neck oval soundhole models is where I want to be. I often play while singing, so something with a warmer tone that is suitable for rhythm playing is going to best suit my needs. Along those lines, I'm not completely opposed to imports, but it seems that what I want is more in the wheelhouse of the domestic scene?

Having bought vintage guitars and pianos in the past, I think your point about being mindful of hit-and-miss is great advice- along with equipment that has been dummied-up. I have been communicating with the A-4 owner and it sounds like he may be playing a gig in my hometown in a couple of weeks- how about that for Providence?

I started down the road of looking for an older Cascade, Quartz or American Breedlove, but it seems that the ovals are almost impossible to find. And when I listen to the F-style, it's not the tone I'm going for. Obviously just personal preference.

Your summary advice is great- I used to trade a lot of gear, but as I've gotten older I seem to want to find 'the one'. Need to temper my expectations .

Thanks again for the great feedback. I appreciate it!

Russ

6. The following members say thank you to Litsinger for this post:

I just wanted to follow-up and express my sincerest thanks to everyone for their helpful feedback. I ultimately decided to go with the Gibson A, but not without a lot of evaluation of many of the great options put forth by the group. Thank you all for your helpful input. This is a great community! Russ

8. The following members say thank you to Litsinger for this post:

That's a great choice! Did you get the A-4 that you previously posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    Did you get the A-4 that you previously posted?
    I did- after hearing it and trying (unsuccessfully) to get any movement on the Pomeroy I decided that if I could get an A-4 for less money and a pick-up, it was a prudent move. I suppose time will tell if it was indeed a good move or not . Thanks again for your all your help and input! Russ

11. The following members say thank you to Litsinger for this post:

Hi Russ

Talking about the specifications that you have mentioned, I believe McNeela Premium A-Style Mandolin is suitable for you that comes with natural wood finish or sun burst. It is definitely the right choice as it is fitted with premium strings, it offers great action and superb resonance making this oval hole a-style mandolin perfect for playing traditional Irish music. Its compact size makes it comfortable to play and easy to transport, without compromising on volume.

I did- after hearing it and trying (unsuccessfully) to get any movement on the Pomeroy I decided that if I could get an A-4 for less money and a pick-up, it was a prudent move. I suppose time will tell if it was indeed a good move or not . Thanks again for your all your help and input! Russ
    I would say the best move out of all offered suggestions...a sure bet to get your money back in a future resale!
    too many strings

14. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

Go For McNeela Premium F-Style Mandolin that features a flat back body and offers a choice of sunburst or natural gloss finish. The intricate decorative scroll, points on the lower body, and headstock scroll all add to its distinctive, eye catching design. It's features includes:
    Features of the McNeela F-Style Mandolin
    8 string
    24 fret
    Flat back
    Low action
    Laminated Spruce top & sides
    Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay
    Multilayered binding
    F sound holes
    Geared tuners with pearlescent peg heads
    Standard Irish Tuning GDAE

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    I would say the best move out of all offered suggestions...
    @musicofanatic: Thanks for the encouragement- I literally just picked the mandolin up today and it is a nice instrument. I've attached a photo of the happy new owner with his new toy.

Now to figure out a bit more about it- I can easily read the factory number (#11342) but for the life of me I can't make out the serial number, even when using a bright flashlight- is there a trick to deciphering a faded serial?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230405_020208285.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	735.9 KB 
ID:	206916