Thread: Buying from Brazil

Default Buying from Brazil

I am considering buying one of the 10-string Bandolim posted in the classifieds here, but am a little cautious about buying from outside of the U.S. Has anyone here had any experiences that you could share with me? Shipping, customs, even from the dealer mentioned in the ad (Daniel Capitano dos Santos). I mean no disrespect by questioning here, just want to get some information and advice before making the purchase.

Default Re: Buying from Brazil

You might want to try posting your message under "General Mandolin Discussions", which gets more traffic, especially from luthiers, dealers, etc.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

You would be buying from a dealer, not from the maker.
    Just under $3000 USD sounds high to me.

Try contacting the maker and have one made.
    Jus a suggestion.

I was quoted at the start of the pandemic closer to 1200 or 1500 for a custom built 8 or 10 string bandolim from Joao Batista.
    Just wanted to provide a reference point.

Be careful when importing. There are restrictions on certain tonewoods such as Brazilian rosewood under CITES regulation. In addition to shipping costs, you could also be charged for import duties and administrative costs.

Thanks for all of your replies, they were all very helpful and well received. I was able to find a used 10 string in good condition from a reference from a friend and made a deal.