Thread: Trimming fret tang on bound fretboards

Default Trimming fret tang on bound fretboards

I could be the hundredth maker to find this solution for all I know but I think it’s worth sharing in case even one person finds it useful. I have seen tricky and expensive jigs to trim the tang from frets that overhang fretboard binding. This is a nearly free version of a commercially available jig.

I planed a piece of wood to the exact thickness as my file, cut a slot in it wider than the tang but narrower than the crown (I just held the block vertically on my bandsaw) then cut the block down the middle so I had two identical slotted pieces. I taped them to make a sort of sandwich board that can properly grip the piece of fret wire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	302B0CCE-54FE-49DD-ACD1-00A84F20B92A.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	206459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5E4EA25-873D-4247-9982-1D15F06CBCA9.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	206460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BE7F953-35B8-454F-AD6C-2B355C385E0C.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	206461

With the desired amount of fret exposed, I lower it down using the edge of the table to pivot as I slide the file on the table. When I can hold the whole thing flat and the file stops cutting I’m done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4304CBC-7ED3-4921-A284-68468F2C7AB9.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	887.3 KB 
ID:	206462

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fazio For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trimming fret tang on bound fretboards

Nicely done, I like yours!

I made an undercut nipper some years ago, I don't know how it compares to the ones that had been available from stew-mac, but it was fairly inexpensive and easy to make. I found this Youtube instruction video on how to make one, just another way to get the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWnt8yY9NI
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Nicely done, I like yours!

I made an undercut nipper some years ago, I don't know how it compares to the ones that had been available from stew-mac, but it was fairly inexpensive and easy to make. I found this Youtube instruction video ...
    Ever try that with Evo fretwire?

And, I noticed he said [in the video] that the tool he modified was no longer $3 - seems it's no longer at Harbor Freight either, but I see this one at Amazon, which I assume is a good starting point/same thing?
    https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express.../dp/B0002KRACO

While we're looking at stuff like this... Anyone have experience with this tool?
    https://www.rokhardware.com/fastcap-fret-nipper.html

(As I'm fond of saying, "Like me, my tools are old and dull." I figure I have maybe a couple refrets left in my ancient tools, but I'd like to try Evo next time, and kind of doubt they're up to even one of those jobs. But, I may only have a couple refrets left in *me* so don't want to go overboard on buying a tool.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    While we're looking at stuff like this... Anyone have experience with this tool?
    https://www.rokhardware.com/fastcap-fret-nipper.html
    That is obviously a tool for trimming fret ends after installation rather than a tool for nipping fret tangs before installation. I have not tried it, but I like the idea. Squeezing end nippers to cut off fret ends gets harder and harder as age and arthritis accumulates in my hands. The compound leverage might be just the thing.

I have a couple of the Stewmac tang nippers that I have been using for years. I use Evo fret wire most of the time now, and I've done quite a few SS fret jobs and the nippers still work just fine... especially since I've learned to use them effectively. As with most tools, the final result comes down to the operator's understanding of the tool, skill and experience.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I don’t like squeezing pliers either. This could of course be adapted to be more ergonomic (make a fatter upper piece and put a handle on your file) but I like how stupidly simple and effective it is (yes, with evo). If your bread and butter is doing refrets all the time it’s probably best to invest in something nicer. Being a chronically broke (like any good luthier) cello maker who only builds a few mandolins a year, I like the accessibility of this setup.

Adrian Minarovic

All I ever used for removal of tang were my sharp flush cutters (like those Frank Ford uses http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...retcutter.html).
    I always cut the fret to exact length holding it against the fret position, perhaps a tenth of mm longer than final length which minimizes the undercut lengths to barely width of binding on the board. I simply cut tiny bit flush with the underside of fret crown with tip of the nippers and then across to remove the tang. I usually follow with two or three strokes of fine needle file to clean the surface that will be in contact with binding.
    Adrian

Haven’t had to cut back tangs yet, but I’d almost certainly use an abrasive wheel, e.g. on a Dremel. No hand strength needed, and clean up the cut ends at the same time.
    Nibblers, as Jim uses, are so useful for all sorts of other things that everybody should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Haven’t had to cut back tangs yet, but I’d almost certainly use an abrasive wheel, e.g. on a Dremel. No hand strength needed, and clean up the cut ends at the same time. ....
    The Dremel is actually what I've been using for a long time. It does take a *steady* hand and a good eye, though, if you don't want to waste a few frets along the way. ("Steady" is turning out to be a relative term, I'm discovering - some days are a lot better than others, hence the interest in the nibbler mod idea. Have to balance the cost of that vs. a couple frets )

p.s. wear good eye protection using a Dremel abrasive wheel!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Ever try that with Evo fretwire?

And, I noticed he said [in the video] that the tool he modified was no longer $3 - seems it's no longer at Harbor Freight either, but I see this one at Amazon, which I assume is a good starting point/same thing?
    https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express.../dp/B0002KRACO
    That looks like the one that I got from Radio Shack around 20 years ago. I've fretted a few hundred instruments with it (including a lot of EVO), and it still works like it did when it was new.

Teacher, repair person

I never regretted the price of the tang nippers I bought from Stew-mac many years ago. I think they were about 40 or 50 bucks back then. As far as I'm concerned, they paid for themselves on the first job because of the amount of labor time they saved. After well over 150 jobs, the nippers are still working quite well.

And yes, they're quite a bit more expensive than they used to be. But if you're going to do more than just a couple of jobs, they're well worth the investment.

Before I bought the StewMac nippers, I used a Dremel with the thinnest cutting wheel to undercut the fret overhang for bound fretboards. It worked fine, you have to be careful not to go too far. What I did was stop just short of flush, then make it flush with a couple strokes of a file.