Thread: Thoughts on a good Mandolin Camp for a Limey

Default Thoughts on a good Mandolin Camp for a Limey

Hi all,

So here's the thing. Mandolin is not big in the U of K and what teachers or courses there are - both of them - are either classical or folk of the "Speed the Plough" Nonsuch type, with a bit of the Dubliners etc thrown in. Not many pickings for someone like me who is getting into bluegrass.

Well, I thought to myself, I've got a ton of unused airmiles - why not go to one of those wonderful US Summer Camps?

Which is a fine idea, but which ones are good? Ther are SO many. I'd say I'm around intermediate, not as fast as I'd like to be but a good ear, reasonable theory and good with chords. Bass player too (one of those nasty electric ones).

All suggestions gratefully received!

Default Re: Thoughts on a good Mandolin Camp for a Limey

The Swannanoa Gathering have excellent music camps. Check out their website.

Targhee Music Camp is back on after a 3 year hiatus. The Travelin’ McCoury’s and Mr. Sun are bands in residence and there are 20 instructors to choose from, along with workshops and nightly concerts it’s a blast. Check it out, held at Grand Targhee Resort in Alta, WY August 7-10 and the Targhee Bluegrass Festival follows 11-13 so you can make a week of it.

https://targheemusiccamp.com/

Steve Kaufman also runs a nice series of camp in June in Maryville, TN.

https://www.flatpik.com/steve-kaufma...-kamp-overview
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

4. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Also wanted to add Walker Creek Music Camp in CA is back and Sorrento in BC (Canada) is being held. Haven't been to either but hear they both are good.

All I have to offer is western events, there are alot of events along the east cost, Swannanoa was mentioned.

Check the Cafe's workshops page for more info.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Alan Bibey's camp, which also has Don Steirnberg, would be a good choice I think. Haven't done a camp with Alan, but I have done a workshop and it was great, and I've been to several camps with Don. I don't think you could go wrong there.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Mandolin Camp North in April - https://musiccampsnorth.com with class list at https://musiccampsnorth.com/wp-conte...Class-List.pdf

Mandolin teachers
    Don Stiernberg, Sharon Gilchrist, Skip Gorman, Jacob Jolliff, Jim Richter, Maddie Witler, Don Julin, Moriah Ozberkmen, Lauren Price Napier, Ben Pearce, Ethan Setiawan, Lorraine Hammond, Claudine Langille, Bill Thibodeau

Guitar teachers
    John Kael, Joe Newberry, Tony Watt, Lincoln Meyers, Alex Rubin

Fiddle teachers
    Annie Staninec, Louise Bichan, Janie Rothfield, Austin Scelzo
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Are you limited to traveling in the summer? Any other constraints? Budget? Other destinations you might want to see while you're stateside?

As a destination and experience, it's hard to beat Monroe Mandolin Camp, though it skews a bit on the advanced side. I hear great things about Swannanoa. My mainstay is Mandolin Camp North in Massachusetts, but that's in April.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

I second Amanda’s recommendation of the Monroe Mandolin Camp. This year it covers the high lonesome years of the 1950’s…so there will be some hard edged mandolin sounds being taught. It’s a top notch experience and is very welcoming to beginners as well as seasoned veterans.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Look closer:

https://www.sorefingers.co.uk/

This is THE go to event in Europe when it comes to learning (bluegrass) music. I know many regular attendees. They all speak highly of the event. The pandemic prevented me from going. But watch out. It sells out really quickly.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Look closer:

https://www.sorefingers.co.uk/

This is THE go to event in Europe when it comes to learning (bluegrass) music. I know many regular attendees. They all speak highly of the event. The pandemic prevented me from going. But watch out. It sells out really quickly.
    I know some of the Sorefingers instructors, they're really good. From what I've heard it's an excellent experience with quite small numbers.

I'm not a bluegrass player, but if I bite the bullet and treat myself to an upright bass I'd be tempted to go myself.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    I know some of the Sorefingers instructors, they're really good. From what I've heard it's an excellent experience with quite small numbers.

I'm not a bluegrass player, but if I bite the bullet and treat myself to an upright bass I'd be tempted to go myself.
    It is true that it is bluegrass oriented. But there is also the old-time part of the workshops. Singing is a universal skillset. Well, if you can play bluegrass you can play a whole lot of music.

I am still looking for a similar workshop idea for jazz (acoustic guitar etc.) in order to be able to learn the chord language.
    Olaf