Thread: My Favorite Things

Default My Favorite Things

Hi everyone,

This is a part theory question and part performance question so please excuse if it should be in the theory forum...

Anyways, I've been working on My Favorite Things out of the Real Book and had two questions:

1. I'm trying to do a chord melody type of thing and in measure 16 of the C section the melody note is B but the chord is D7. I'm guessing that I can put notes from the D7 chord under the melody note and that will sound fine but I was just wondering if I can do anything "jazzier" with it?

2. The melody (but not the tune) ends on a G which is held for multiple measures and then there are even more measures where there is no melody to be played. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do at this point? Lay out? Play the chords? Something else?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: My Favorite Things

1. The B on top with C and F# underneath sounds very jazzy, A D13 chord!

2. Everything you suggest works. Or improvise after the melody note, a common trick.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

3. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Thanks Pete! Much appreciated. Not sure if you remember me but we had a few lessons a ways back. Lately I've been working on a lot of the videos you have on YouTube and your website. Really great stuff! Thanks again!!

2. you could play phrases that move through the harmonised scale (G Am Bm C etc) and then finish with a minor II V I to the E minor for the next chorus.