Thread: Northfield A Mandolin?

Default Northfield A Mandolin?

I have noticed that the Northfield Mandolins appear to have smaller F holes than most traditional mandolins. Is this me or is that true? If so, is this a benefit? I am not saying its good or bad and obviously Northfield believes it's the best size for their design. Just curious more than anything.
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

Default Re: Northfield A Mandolin?

It's hard to tell from photos but the "A5" f-holes appear to be more in line with the rest of their F models, while the *picture* of the M on their site looks like the bottom hole is smaller. I don't know what other differences there may be in the overall dimensions, bracing, etc., but from reading how they've approached their production, I'd say there is a reason for what they've done. It could be simply to differentiate it [the M] from the higher priced models in the overall tonal spectrum. Ask them and see if they give you an answer.

In the FWIW category: I will say that the f-holes on the KM-950 I just got are visibly smaller than my F5S. "The Loar" LM-310f I got from our son - swapped the MD-815v - has f-holes not much smaller than the NF - just eyeballing. They all sound different, though the Kentucky and Northfield sound more alike than different, even with the different body shape and f-hole dimensions.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Maybe its just appearance, but this is what I am talking about. This is comparing the A5 Special to a the F5, so it may not be really valid. But I see a difference in just the Northfield. I also included the North vs Collings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norhfield.PNG 
Views:	91 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	206507

Name:	Norhfield 2.PNG 
Views:	89 
Size:	773.7 KB 
ID:	206508
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

I see that in those pics. Interestingly, all the ones I found online are Italian spruce. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I saw in one of their videos, that it's for increased bass responce. I know mine freak'n rocks, and getting better everytime I play it.

6. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

webber 

Well that's a valid reason I guess. I have just heard sounds clips, but they do sound good.
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

If it helps, here's a side by side of my F5S and M. The M's f-holes are quite a bit smaller, while the body dimensions of both are near identical. The M has an Engleman top, red spruce on the F5S. Knowing the R&D those guys put into each design, I'm sure there's a good reason for it. All I know is they both sound superb, but in different ways.

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	891.9 KB 
ID:	206515
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

For the sake of clarity, they are called apertures. The shape and size varies from maker to maker and instrument to instrument.
    It would be cool to hear from actual makers.
    Once upon a time, I had a cool conversation with Roger Siminoff, who went into some detail about the size and shape of the aperture, and how that all worked out.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

At 1:15 I have #66

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

The Northfield A-model "F"-holes have always bugged me a bit. To my eye they are a bit stiff and not as elegant as the "F"-model holes. But hey, if they are producing the tone they want, who am I to argue. I would love to play one some day.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I actually like the look of the smaller f-hole. To each his/her own I guess. I wouldn't not buy it because of the hole size, I go by sound, not so much what it looks like. Years ago I had my choice of two teen's Gibson's, one much played and pretty beat, the other fairly pristine. They were both the same price. I took the beat up one cause it sounded so much better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Looking at a KM-1050 and KM-950 it seems Kentucky does something similar with the F & A models. (Image links to external vendor so are likely not permanent.)

https://sunvalleyguitars.com/wp-cont...ky-KM950-2.jpg

https://sunvalleyguitars.com/wp-cont...20080295-2.jpg
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Adrian Minarovic

Kentucky 900 series didi try to copy the famous A-5 which had somewhat smaller f holes and a bit angled to fit on the pear shaped body with bridge quite high when long neck was used. But the shape and overall aesthetics is similar to standard F style mandolin f hole.
    The Northfield's A style f hole is distinctively smaller and IMHO unbalanced visually when compared to their F style. The outer curve lacks the "mirrored image" of the nick and makes the whole shape look broken. But vibrations don't see the shape and it's mostly length and area of the aperture that has acoustical consequences. Smaller apertures generally lower the body air resonance frequency. Assuming the A style has slightly smaller volume of air (no scroll) they could have done that smaller size apertures intentionally to match the frequency of F style body resonance.
    Adrian

They remind me of lute f holes
    1988 Flatiron F5 Artist
    2017 Collings D1
    Taylor GS mini hog