Thread: 1930s Wards Entry Level Mando

Default 1930s Wards Entry Level Mando

This is clearly a Great Depression entry level instrument. The 1936 catalogue shows an uke styled/shaped like this and I would imagine it was made by Regal. It's odd that the headstock was not made slightly larger as the plates have been clipped and may have fitted the shape- but the clipping avoids any overlap if the holes were drilled a bit too high or low. It is probably a rare survivor and I imagine is quite loud! I wonder if the marketing department at Wards dreamed up some exciting name for it?

It's a bit of fun and deserves a good home- not mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14498088351...Bk9SR8rC8ZraYQ

Default Re: 1930s Wards Entry Level Mando

For posterity, pun clearly intended. For comparison, a bed pan of the era, showing design parallel. Certainly, some MOTS might be appropriate.
    The general shape is still seen in ukes, partly because there is nothing compelling the ‘miniature guitar’ look - unless there really is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDFD99E0-7B30-4E45-9CF5-3CD4435CEFD9.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	689.8 KB 
ID:	206522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC024DA3-445E-4B8C-AE6A-EF7A5750455A.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	206523

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    This is clearly a Great Depression entry level instrument. The 1936 catalogue shows an uke styled/shaped like this and I would imagine it was made by Regal. It's odd that the headstock was not made slightly larger as the plates have been clipped and may have fitted the shape- but the clipping avoids any overlap if the holes were drilled a bit too high or low. It is probably a rare survivor and I imagine is quite loud! I wonder if the marketing department at Wards dreamed up some exciting name for it?

It's a bit of fun and deserves a good home- not mine!
    I bought one in pieces in a bulk buy many years ago and sold it in pieces to Tom Flood on eBay if I recall. I always thought it was a Regal product but maybe not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02064.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	206524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02065.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	206525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP02066.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	206526  

Name:	DCP02067.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	206527  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I mentioned Regal as that firm was making mandolins for Wards in the 30s as did Kay as well for some of the less expensive instruments but my bet would be on Regal.

I had one of those, too. I can’t remember if I still have it or not. I am planning a major excavation of the Instrument Closet in coming days and I may very well unearth mine. Either that or I donated to someone or another. I don’t remember ever playing it. So it goes. I don’t recall seeing that in either of Carlin’s Regal books but I may have just missed it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I noticed for the first time when I looked at my pictures that the one I had was stamped inside with a month and day, Jul 7. No year. I don't remember seeing a date stamp like that. On page 198 of the first Carlin Regal book there is a Regal Model 511 "Hawaiian Type Guitar" with the same sort of back brace showing and the same shape. I'm guessing the original Regal attribution is at least suggested by that. Regal also made some just strange shaped instruments. There is a triangular "Packing Crate Guitar" a few pages later that is anything but normally shaped. Mine arrived and left in pieces. Jim, if you unearth yours in your hoard you have my deepest sympathies and probably Nick's as well.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

There are some very strange instruments from the Depression years, all right. Maybe, Jim can find his- they might be all the rage now! Wards did date stamp their instruments from the late 30s. My model 1642 Wards mandolin has its FON number dating it to 1936 but there is a February 1937 stamp added by Wards. Whether or not the date stamp Mike has seen is an earlier version I don't know but it seems that Richter did use date stamps as well- and Richter made guitars for Wards at this time. It may be these are Richter made instruments?

You can see the date stamp in the picture above and you are assuming they were made for Montgomery Ward. Chances are they were simply made for the trade and labeled. Most likely made in Chicago but I guess they could have been made in New Jersey or someplace else. Montgomery Ward was based in Chicago. Generally freight came into consideration when selling to these stores giving the local manufacturers an advantage.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

My model 1642 Wards mandolin has its FON number dating it to 1936 but there is a February 1937 stamp added by Wards.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought FON numbers were a Gibson thing. Is this a Gibson-made instrument?

Yes, the Model 1642 is based on the A-50. The differences are: headstock is pointed, no truss rod and although the top is carved the back is pressed with a brace. Most of the Gibson made instruments were sold by Montgomery Ward as Recording King branded but some were just sold as Wards instruments. Rather than post mine, this shows one to good effect: https://reverb.com/item/1097060-ward...by-gibson-1936

11. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Mike, I didn't think to enlarge your photo. My Model 1642 states FEB1937 and I would reckon your instrument might have meant to have a stamp that is JUL1937 but the first three digits did not stamp for some odd reason. Maybe, others sold these- not just Wards but they clearly were inexpensive and it reminds me to look at the 1937 Wards ads I have to see if one is featured.

Edit: My Wards ads are pages from spreads for 1937 so I am missing half of what may have been on offer, for that catalogue. I did find the Supertone "Hill Country" mandolin on a mid-30s ad. It is is the triangular like offering but would have been made by Harmony as it predates the sale of Harmony by Sears in 1940. It is just possible that others made bits for the appointed maker as part of a co-operative approach.

Name:	5672797_fullsize.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	206541

Mike, I didn't think to enlarge your photo. My Model 1642 states FEB1937 and I would reckon your instrument might have meant to have a stamp that is JUL1937 but the first three digits did not stamp for some odd reason. Maybe, others sold these- not just Wards but they clearly were inexpensive and it reminds me to look at the 1937 Wards ads I have to see if one is featured.

Edit: My Wards ads are pages from spreads for 1937 so I am missing half of what may have been on offer, for that catalogue. I did find the Supertone "Hill Country" mandolin on a mid-30s ad. It is is the triangular like offering but would have been made by Harmony as it predates the sale of Harmony by Sears in 1940. It is just possible that others made bits for the appointed maker as part of a co-operative approach.

Name:	5672797_fullsize.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	206541
    I'm sure that when Sears owned Harmony they were selling to the other catalog houses and distributors as well and they sold between the builders in Chicago too. It was quite a relationship they all had to each other. It was a big industry and I'm sure Sears didn't buy Harmony to get all their output they most likely bought them to make money.

The stamp issue is quite possible as I'm sure they were simply using an adjustable stamp and people make mistakes.

That catalog page is proof positive that some ugly instruments were foisted onto the buying public
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Avoiding curves and using straight lines saves money- curves cost money but the phrase "utility is beauty" is not always true as some might suggest with the Fender Telecaster but Bill Kirchen has put them right, with his paean to the guitar! Over here during WW2 very few non-military vehicles were made but when it came to buses, they were built- with low cost flimsy bodies- which were described as "utility" and they really were ugly- not a curve in sight and every corner cut, so a few years after the war was over the coachbuilders were busy making new bodies for these buses.

I think Harmony was making instruments for many third parties and music stores in the 1930s but it seems that Wards was not one of them- which may just have been because Wards had done some very good deals with Regal, Kay, Richter and Gibson and that sufficed. It may also be because Sears vetoed it but we will never know.

I found out what I did with that Ward oddball. Originally I bought it and it was moderately unplayable. There was a woman here from Philadelphia who was heading to an instrument repair workshop and she was looking for broken mandolins to fix so I sent it to her. She actually fixed it and sent it back to me. There was another guy local to me who started a non-profit for kids to learn music and was looking for instruments so I donated it and a few others I had to him. We met in a parking lot and it probably looked like a drug deal. Hopefully some youngish Chris Thile sound-alike was inspired and is headed for great things.

In any case, I did take some lovely beauty shots which I will share below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MW_FTBK.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	206553  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

That looks pretty good, Jim and it was probably an easier launch pad to blast off from than many old mandolins out there!

Well, 8 bidders and 20 bids later....this item sold for $40.99 plus $39.99 shipping...

Speaking only for myself, if I saw this at a yard sale or flea market I don't think I could get excited about paying $80 bucks for it.

Discerning folk, bidding for a rare bird- a bit of an ugly duckling, perhaps, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Well, 8 bidders and 20 bids later....this item sold for $40.99 plus $39.99 shipping...

Speaking only for myself, if I saw this at a yard sale or flea market I don't think I could get excited about paying $80 bucks for it.
    I'm with you. I didn't buy the one I had on purpose, it was more of an accident
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

As my wise old dad would say, “that’s a bargain at half the price!”
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: