Thread: How long would a job like this take?

Default How long would a job like this take?

Luthiers of the cafe, if a mando needed the top/soundboard to be replaced, how long would you estimate a job like that to take? We're talking about a carved solid wood top. I don't expect there to be an exact answer, I'm just looking for an idea of what a reasonable turnaround time on a job like that. Thanks y'all

Default Re: How long would a job like this take?

A busy luthier might take quite a while, while someone with nothing else to do could probably do the replacement in a week and then spend 3 or 4 more weeks doing the finish work (assuming letting the finish cure well before buffing... other finish types may take more or less time).

I'd say a luthier with a moderate work load and plenty of time to spend in the shop would be wise to estimate the time at a couple of months and hope things go really well and it takes less time.

FWIW, and as an example of what can happen, I'm busy out of the shop these days and I have a mandolin that I re-topped giving me serious finish problems, otherwise it would have been completed and returned weeks ago. I did not estimate a completion date when starting the job, the customer knows and understands the situation, and this one will take longer than any reasonable estimate I might have given.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Bear in mind that besides the disassembly and new carpentry, glue joints and finish will require adequate drying time. I would project a couple of months at the absolute minimum. Double or triple that for a busy shop.

You have received very good estimates on time. I know of luthiers that will take in a repair and they get to it when they can. It’s not a job that would be done quickly.

Good advice above. Another factor is how busy the repairman is. I usually have 25 or so instruments here that I am working on at any given time. I will tell the customer upfront if it is going to take more than a month and make sure if that is ok with them. Obviously, things like setups and pickups/wiring can be done in a few hours, while repairs requiring woodworking, gluing, and finishing take much longer, requiring many steps and drying times.

Of course a day after posting this I got notification that my mandolin is ready. You all gave some accurate estimates, the job took about 3.5/4 months. Thanks for your replies everyone