Thread: Travolin (travel size mando) availability

Default Travolin (travel size mando) availability

If anyone has been thinking about a Travolin, Steve has a few slots open in his next production run. Delivery estimated for June.

https://travolin.com/

(NFI, I just ordered one & wanted to pass along what he told me)

Here's what he said about the woods:

"The Maple and Adirondack Spruce were purchased as logs when my shop was in Maine and cut in my sawmill. The Maple was dried in my solar kiln and the Spruce was air dried for 4 years. The Rosewood is from Belize where a friend of mine towed a sawmill behind his pickup from Maine to Belize to start an exotic wood mill. So you don't have to worry about any wood restrictions when you travel."

Steve has been super responsive & very nice via email.
    Last edited by Mercedes NM; Mar-12-2023 at 2:13pm. Reason: Another Typo 🙄

Default Re: Travolin (travel size mando) availability

Has anyone played one of these? I’m most curious how similar they feel to a normal mandolin, particularly the right hand/arm position. Is it close enough that it is a good practice instrument if you are traveling or is it different enough that you don’t feel like you are reinforcing good RH mechanics and arm position?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I previously owned one. On par with other travel mandolins, but more robust. Feel is different for picking hand but fretting isn’t very different. I got mine for 2 trips I took to Europe. Afterwards I just started traveling with a Rogue.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by peliot View Post
    Has anyone played one of these? I’m most curious how similar they feel to a normal mandolin, particularly the right hand/arm position. Is it close enough that it is a good practice instrument if you are traveling or is it different enough that you don’t feel like you are reinforcing good RH mechanics and arm position?
    If you go on YouTube and search for "Travolin" there are videos of the Travolin being played -- you can get a decent idea of mechanics & arm position