Thread: Comparison

Default Comparison

I accidentally destroyed my Unicorn and am looking to replace it. I have been pouring through the many ads in the classifieds here in the Cafe. I have seen several contenders in about the same price range. I’m curious how a Kentucky km 1050 would compare to a Morris. Price is not an issue. Both are the same price.

Default Re: Comparison

Unicorn ? that's a rare beast.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Unicorn ? that's a rare beast.

Dave H
    They’re all over UK heraldry; supposedly because they hang out in Scotland, unlike those lions, red dragons and more southerly beasts. In the US we only have a big bird, although early on we had a snake, and Ben Franklin favored the turkey, IMHO a pretty good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiller View Post
    I accidentally destroyed my Unicorn and am looking to replace it. I have been pouring through the many ads in the classifieds here in the Cafe. I have seen several contenders in about the same price range. I’m curious how a Kentucky km 1050 would compare to a Morris. Price is not an issue. Both are the same price.
    That is sad about your Unicorn. Is it not restorable? I haven’t played the models you mention but I would think the quality and tone might be equal to your Unicorn.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I would be devastated if I destroyed my mandolin. Yikes!

This is, perhaps, closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, but...

Would the type of accident that occured to destroy your mandolin have been covered by musical instrument insurance? Seriously, some policies cover damage of various types and can even total the instrument and pay you full value.

Just a thought going forward.

Good luck.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I love my Unicorn and doubt what you are looking at would be as good sound wise. Post a picture of the damaged mandolin, it is possible to repair what some think is not repairable.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Rare beast indeed! Hadn't heard of Unicorns before, but gathered this from a current Reverb ad for a 1976 model:

"Only 149 Unicorn Mandolins were produced and they were handmade by Rolf Gerhardt in San Antonio, TX. ... rare and sought after ... "

Rolf went on to produce the Phoenix line of mandolins!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Teacher, repair person

Rolfe Gerhardt's Unicorn mandolins were very good handmade instruments. You're probably going to have to look in a higher price range than the Kentucky or the Morris to find an instrument of comparable quality.

I agree with pops-- it wouldn't hurt to post a few pictures of the damaged instrument-- it may be worth repairing.