Thread: Peter Sawchyn closing shop

Default Peter Sawchyn closing shop

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...lose-1.6773769

I don't own one of his mandolins, but they seem highly regarded by folks on this forum.

Default Re: Peter Sawchyn closing shop

Damn.I just put down my. Beavertail mandola—glad I got it when I could! Lovely and reasonably priced instruments.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Sawchyns are rarely seen in my neck of the woods, but I got a chance to play two of them a while back and they were both wonderful. I tried to buy a used Sawchyn F5 from Canada a few years ago but got bogged down in the complications of shipping from Canada and it didn't happen. Guess I missed my chance. Congratulations to the Sawchyns for taking the big step.
    Cedwyn Morgan

He will be missed. I'm incredibly glad that I bought a new Beavertail octave last year, on the assumption that it wouldn't be long before he retired. It turns out that guess was correct, and this must be one of the last Beavertail octaves ever made. It's a beautiful instrument with excellent sound.

Congratulations to Peter and Kendra on their next move. My wife and I retired early enough to really enjoy this part of life so we encourage all to do so, too.
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

6. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

Peter's instruments are wonderful -- I have a prototype "RA2-9" A-style, basically an A2Z clone with a black stained top (still my go-to mando), and a beautiful carved-top octave mando -- bought both about 16 years ago. I also had an exquisite blond F4 style he built, which I sold to a student who won't part with it (I want it back!). His workmanship -- fit and finish -- was impeccable on those and they were a joy to play. He stopped building custom carved-top mandolins a while ago, so I am very grateful I had the opportunity to get these instruments from Peter personally from his former workshop in Regina. I wish both Peter and Kendra the very best in their future endeavors!
    Too many instruments...too little time