Thread: String gauge advice

Default String gauge advice

I’m being given a (late) friend’s Kasuga A-mandolin - probably from the late 70’s, early 80s. I guess it has no truss-rod (from my online research). I can pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Re: String gauges – on my 1910 Gibson A-mandolin I always use D’Addario EJ7310, 14, 24, 38.

On my Collings MT2 I use EJ74s – 11, 15, 26, 40.

I’ve recently discovered a UK string maker called Newtone strings. They will provide hex OR round core strings. I’m thinking of going for Round Core Phosphor Bronze. What do you think about these gauges for the non-truss rod Kasuga? Round Core 11, 14, 26, 39? (the gauges one step down from this are 10, 13, 24, 37 which to my thinking, I'll find too light)
    Many thanks

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: String gauge advice

If the Kasuga is an arch top instrument, the lighter gauge might not be enough to drive the top. Try the 11-14-26-39 set, cross your fingers, keep an eye on that neck, and hope for the best.

If the neck doesn't hold up, hang the mandolin on the wall in a place of honor for your friend.

Default Re: String gauge advice

I use Newtone and sounds like you should order 11--15--25--38. You'll find 38 ideal for most mandolins, bluegrass included. 14s on 2nd will probably not have the taughtness you need. I use 15.5 2nd on my old Gibson F4 and they work great.